View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:10   #13
Snagger
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 CDT CLUB SE 02

Matt, thanks for your reply.

The only reason I ask is, according to Mr Haynes,if you were just replacing the thermostat itself and not the whole housing assembly, you depress the thermostsat body twist anti clockwise and remove.All this done after removing the waterpump of course and with free movement.

With this in mind, do think if it was just the depth of the housing body ie minus the thermostat itself,(therefore having a shallower object to remove ) would you have been able to manoeuvre the housing free without, bending the coolant rail ?

Or by the method I am trying to describe ie slacken off the thermo housing, pull tight to coolant rail or into a position to enable you to,
twist detach the old thermostat & remove, twist attach new thermostat, re- insert housing into position,apply new gasket fasten back. I appreciate you have recommended the total replacement,but if the housing is not leaking or damaged.... anyway just an option !

Like I said I haven't approached the job yet myself, but am trying to get in my minds eye the best technique for a job plenty of mechanics dont seem keen to try !! The most infuriating part of all is that you can actually part see the thing when you peep over the drivers side wing !!

Is there anywhere on the site a schematic/diagram of the engine showing the location/ attachment points of the coolant rail in question? anybody please.

Thanks

Groover.
Snagger is offline   Reply With Quote