View Single Post
Old 14th October 2010, 09:05   #23
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Quote:
You ask the legitimate question " Is the OEM plastic thermostat housing actually that bad?" Yes, it is.
In your opinion and experience. But not in mine!

I see no reason to fit a metal version when the service life of the oem one is perfectly acceptable.

I have one car which did over 60k / 6 years on its original thermostat without a problem. It was changed when the cam belts were changed as was the water pump which to me are all part of the cambelt change on the V6.

I would not go to all the expence of a cambelt change and not include a new thermostat housing and water pump. Thermostats can fail regardles of what material the housing is made of.

If the "inferior plastic" one lasts another 6 years / 60k miles then I will change it again when the cambelts are changed. I see no reason to take it out before and fit a home made metal one.

I agree perhaps the higher temparatures in Africa or Australia may cause the plastic one to fail earlier
My engine though runs at the pretty much the same temp in the winter as it does on a hot summers day. I know as I have the Hans guage fitted.

What temp does your engine run at? mine is between 92 and 96 iirc.

Good luck with your metal version. I will not be fitting one.

Ed.

Last edited by capese21; 14th October 2010 at 09:07..
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote