View Single Post
Old 21st March 2017, 17:48   #31
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

For some years now I have always wanted an MG ZT. According to other opinions, the MGZS was the better car to drive, but there is just something so purposeful and handsome about that ZT. I'll confess to knowing 1.8. 1.8T, 2l, 2l diesel, 2.5 V6 engine configurations, and that's it! What the numbers mean and what they break down into is something I'm only now just discovering. Same with the 75, I knew the engine variations to a small degree, but as for fit and finish with the Club, Connouseueur, and...er...no, that's it. That's all I knew. Leather seats or cloth.
But the look of the MG, especially in that delicious blue, still makes me look twice. I personally can't think of too many cars that have the same presence, sense of style and class and yet retain a meanness and sense of purpose as the MGZT. Most other cars look, to me, like something escaping a Manga comic (Honda Civic Trpe R?) or just dull (anything with Kia on it).

My Honda was dying, its' tax and MOT were due and I needed another car. The local garage had this 1.8t 75 connie in for under £1000. And I kept looking at it, then the Mondeo he had in, the 75, then other garages, then the 75... and I thought 'WHY do I keep looking when I always come back to this 75?'. So I brought it. And it has leaky problems, and a turbo issue, and the stereo is rubbish and sounds awful, and it smells a bit from the stagnant swimming pool under the seats, and the headlights are scratched and need refurbishing, and the drinks holders are pants. But it is awesome and I love it!!!! I've sorted the leaks, which I enjoyed doing, I'm fitting a Parrot until I get a touch screen stereo thing off Sean, I'm going to shampoo the carpets now it's drying out, I'm going to refurb the lights and it's just nice to drive. It's also a classy looking car in a nice silver.

BUT....if I could have found one, at a similar price, I'd LOVE an MGZT in that amazing blue, with a 75 interior (wood dash and trim) and the white leather and wood steering wheel, with the v6 engine converted to LPG so I didn't feel bad about the environment when I put me foot down, with the serpent wheels I have on my 75. Not sure if I'd go for the facelift model though. Them 2 separate lights look gorgeous, but then the one unit lights look great too. I like the deeper intercooler aspect of the later models though.

I've no idea what these cars are / if they exist, but if I had the money, I doubt there are many other cars I'd have over that. money no object, I'm not sure if I'd pass up on one of them.

Maybe I'm just odd, but the 75 and ZT are stunning designs that manage to look inherently English.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote