View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2017, 19:22   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Following on from my original two threads (the first asking for advice on which camera to buy, and then after deciding on a Canon 750D or Nikon D5500,the second seeking advice on where to buy) here's a new thread about the Nikon D5500 I actually bought!

Well, overall I love it! Very nice camera, easy to operate, nice and compact/light and producing great images

However, there's a but, and it could get into my head.... The main reason for getting a new DSLR to replace our older Canon 750D was for the variable angle touchscreen, allowing us to get nice low down shots without having to physically get on the floor. The theory was we could bend over, angle the screen to get the composition, and finally touch the screen to take the photo. To do this, you have to use "Liveview" which previews the image on the screen, but unfortunately, it introduces horrendous shutter lag Retrospectively this is obvious: The shutter is held open to allow the image to hit the sensor and therefore has to close before it re-opens to take the photo! It does this regardless of shooting from the screen or the usual shutter release button (see here)

Now the obvious answer is to use the camera with Liveview off but then this kind of defeats the purpose of buying it. 99% of our photos are of dogs: with Liveview on they have wandered out of shot before the photo is taken, and with it off, well, we might as well use our old Canon

So now I am thinking along the lines of selling the Nikon on (nothing wrong with it, just not necessarily ideal for our needs) and trying something else. Would a Bridge Camera be better? Perhaps a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300?

Any musings appreciated!
Lag will be at least as pronounced as the Nikon in good light and worse in low light.

Learn to anticipate the shutter lag, additionally, pre focus the camera to the area you want to take the shot (generally when posing dogs etc, you know roughly where they will pass) then switch it to manual focus.

Likewise, when using the viewfinder, follow the dog (panning) with the shutter half pressed, keeping it half pressed, and still following the dog, then follow through with pressing the button when you want the shot.

The alternative is a compact system type camera. They will be faster (Panasonic and Sony models used to be the fastest of these type, not sure now though)

For speed, and continuous shooting, I would recommend working around the live view though, you will get more and better results.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote