View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2017, 21:54   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
So speed and quality can go hand in hand then?
a bridge camera (with the exception of just a few) are essentially compact cameras with extra zoom lenses. You will be disappointed with the results if you are disappointed with the speeds of the Nikon in live view. even though they are designed to be used as a live view, they rely on contrast detection for focus using smaller apertures on smaller light gathering sensors. In general, your Nikon (and most compact system cameras, though Nikon J series use a smaller one) will have a imaging sensor that is roughly 6 times larger than that of a compact/bridge camera. Couple this with a wider aperture with your lens compared with the bridge (as a guide, f2.8 on a bridge lens, will approximate 2.8 on an SLR lens) . Then you have the physically larger and separate metering system on the SLR, allowing it to gather light quicker.

When using the live view on the SLR, it uses a similar contrast detection for focus, but because of the larger components mentioned above, it does it quicker, however, it opens shutter, measures the light, displaying the view, focuses using contrast, it then has to drop the mirror (some dont drop the mirror) close the shutter and open it again. Some compact system cameras, close the shutter (which I never understood why) as it takes a shot. To me they should just freeze the image electronically as you press the shutter.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote