View Single Post
Old 6th December 2011, 20:11   #6
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintious maximus View Post
thanks for the replies guys. Popped round to see him this morning and checked coolant level which was fine. Started her up and after ten or so mins the temp guage had hardly moved from cold - does this point to thermostat?

Also, what and where is the plenum chamber?
Did you have a feel of the pipe to the radiator? Did it feel warm? After tens mins, even with the thermostat open, the temp gauge should have moved off cold, maybe not to 9 O'clock but moved quite a bit. I wonder if the temp sensor is shot?

Anyway the plenums are under the plastic covers at the rear of the engine bay, just in front of the windscreen. The driver's side one is the easiest to check for water through. Unclip it and remove and look for water in the bottom. I would bet there is some in there as, if unchecked, the drains clog up and water builds up in there. Potentially disastrous, as I recently found out, if your ECU gets wet.

Here is a pic of the driver's side plenum cover http://www.ephestione.it/uploads/2011/03/IMAG0742.jpg

Be careful if you have to remove the scuttle panel - the bit that runs along the bottom of the windscreen - as the oval shaped clips that hold it down ping off everywhere - put a little masking tape over each one as one tip I've seen - or have someone who is good at catching handy as you tug it free.

To check the fan with the ignition in position 2 - turn the heater to demist the screen - you should hear the fan run.

HTH

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote