Thread: van virgin
View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2017, 21:17   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Very true Tony, I have had my van for 9 & 1/2 years, since new, and when we first got it, the dealer showed me how to go on with it, but first time out we were still a bit lost and I asked someone on the site,and they were happy to help. It's my turn to give back now as my brother in law has just bought a caravan, and is on the phone constantly asking for help. Mike , the hardest thing about caravanning is getting the hang of reversing it, whichever way you want the van to turn, give the steering wheel the OPPOSITE lock, and small turns ,it only needs a small amount of lock to turn it while moving. If you look up the caravan club or camping and caravanning club, they both do caravan manoeuvring courses. Cost is about £150 for a full day, and includes a session in a " classroom", watching a video clip and then practical course in an off road area, they provide the caravans, you just bring you car with towbar, and you usually work in pairs with another course participant. Invaluable if you're a total beginner.

EDIT just realised you took your HGV test a while back, so if you're on class 1 you won't need showing,.

Last edited by RPWC; 22nd February 2017 at 21:24.. Reason: Remembered something
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote