View Single Post
Old 8th February 2010, 14:50   #7
Snagger
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 CDT CLUB SE 02

Apart from asking, and being told by the seller you are not going to be aware of any modifications. How do you check for a re-map (electronic) ? If you've never seen the engine bay of a 75 how would you be expected to know what a modified air intake looks like ? When you apply for your insurance on the form or on the phone you are asked if the car has had any modifications, all you can say is "none that I'm aware of " which may or may not be the truth subject to what you know at the time.This is the only part of your contract based on trust, on the part of the insurer.However it can also catch up with you, in the event of a claim.

I've had a recent insurance quote telling me I have a Thatcham type 2 device on my car, never asked the seller, and was never told it had this, but it was fitted, standard or not I dont know.

I've never seen anbody looking at a car on a forecourt or otherwise start tearing an engine compartment to pieces, or ripping brakes apart to check for mods its a thing 99 percent of the car buying population don't do.So if your'e not sure ask, if you find out you have mods declare if you wish, its a matter for you only to decide.You could counter the ignorance arguement by asking the insurance company to prove you did know the car had modifications, and you were sold it knowing so.But at the end of it all in the event of a claim it's they who hold the cards, and the cash.

Your best mods to let the engine breath a little easier would be to clean the EGR valve, PCV filter and make sure the intercooler seals are replaced with viton seals,and a clean air filter you will notice a difference with these alone, without having modded anything.The air intake mod after these will also bring an improvement, and is a mod (visible).But if you replace the PCV housing with the redesigned valve baffle one it will be a mod( invisible) !!. To spot this as one, the assessor would have to take it to pieces to see the difference internally as the housing is identical to the original !! But is he going to bother ?

Groover.
Snagger is offline   Reply With Quote