View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2017, 18:41   #29
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Interesting contribution - I realy don't understand why you are taking such a black/white position on the matter.

There is no need to start guessng with "maybe" etc. when the detailed facts are all available from the LGA and the councils concerned. See the following link.

http://www.local.gov.uk/web/guest/me...0/8171490/NEWS

Please note that the facts are from Trading Standards, not the BBC. The BBC article is a slimmed down version of the LGA article above.

The comment about the fitter's legal responsibilities is interesting as I am not certain how relevant/comforting it would be when some youngster has been run over by a car due to defective tyres.

My own observation - this is my first and only observation in this thread - is that if one looks at MOT histories of cars for sale, a lot of drivers clearly drive around with dangerous and illegal tyres as evidenced by MOT failures due to tyre defects. So, pretending that this is a made up problem seems to me to be a serious shortfall in judgement and a lack of willingness to accept reality.

I don't think I am the one taking the black/ white view, I'm not the one saying it's a crime and a danger to the public to fit part worn tyres. I merely seek to point out, that if a little common sense, and a responsible tyre fitter is employed, it might be better to fit a quality part worn tyre, than a cheap new one.
In order to get the trading standards figures into perspective, you have to consider which traders were inspected. If you target rogue traders, you can expect rogue results.
I'll put it another way if you like, are all the tyres/wheels offered for sale on this forum dangerous?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote