View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2017, 20:59   #30
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I don't think I am the one taking the black/ white view, I'm not the one saying it's a crime and a danger to the public to fit part worn tyres. I merely seek to point out, that if a little common sense, and a responsible tyre fitter is employed, it might be better to fit a quality part worn tyre, than a cheap new one.
In order to get the trading standards figures into perspective, you have to consider which traders were inspected. If you target rogue traders, you can expect rogue results.
I'll put it another way if you like, are all the tyres/wheels offered for sale on this forum dangerous?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, I do enjoy a good debate, so let's continue.

Let's look at the TS numbers for Brent and Harrow. Extract from the LGA website follows.

"Brent and Harrow
Brent and Harrow Trading Standards officers, along with an expert from the National Tyre Distributors Association and charity TyreSafe, found that only two of 12 second-hand tyres bought from 12 different traders met legally acceptable standards, while at least six of them had defects that could pose a serious safety risk if they were put back on a car. Over half of the tyres inspected were over eight years old, with the oldest tyre 17 years old. Although all the traders had been visited and advised by Trading Standards officers before the test purchases were made, many had ignored the advice. Revisits to the worst traders led to two seizures of unsafe tyres. A trader is now being prosecuted as a result.

So, the sample tyres were purchased from 12 different traders. Given the size of Brent and Harrow, I would say that number probably represents a very large proportion of the used tyre traders in the area, if not the majority. With 80% of the purchased tyres being defective, I would have said that this represents a situation that wararnts caution on the part of potential purchasers. I doubt that the 12 tyres purchased by TS represented the totality of defective stock that could be purchased by members of the public in the area. Even if it did, it represents as a minimum 10 individuals at risk due to the defective used tyres sold on the market.

How can any reasonable person argue that this should not be a cause for concern?

Last edited by MSS; 23rd January 2017 at 05:53..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote