View Single Post
Old 5th March 2010, 16:25   #14
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I doubt if you would be able to find one V6 here that has not got a problem with the original thermostat. If so, it would be a fairly new and little used car.

By far the biggest problem are related to the plastic bits in and around the thermostat.
I for one cannot accept a latent problem with my engine, that can spring upon me with no warning, and totally immobilize the car, in serious cases ruin the engine.
My own car had an issue with the original thermostat just before 60000km. It went from not using a drop, to rapid overheat warning. Luckily close to home on a cool day. I knew that it could not be serious, because I had used the car for about 5km from cold.
I had another thermostat fitted, and it refused to open. That almost cost me an engine! The next one lasted till 70000km and leaked from day one. The welding of the top and bottom plastic parts was not complete.
I built my first metal housing. Problem solved. Permanently.

The problem is that this can happen at any time, and you get no warning before the event. When the gauge goes from normal to red alert, it takes about 5 seconds. You almost get a heart attack!
That is not acceptable in my book! Irrespective of whether or not you intend to keep the car. And I think most people would like to avoid such a possibility.

At issue is also the quality of the original thermostat housings used by Rover.
I have no doubt (but also no proof!) that the original units were of better quality than the later ones.
Currently the plastic units are produced by a Chinese company.
I will be surprised if Rover did not, at some time, switch suppliers to this company. After all, they did a number of tricks to lower the cost of the cars toward the end.

I have, grudingly!, taken Late's criticism to heart, and ordered the foundry to use a sealing process of the aluminium castings which will increase the smoothness of the finished product with immediate effect. After all, even a perceived problem is a problem.
At the same time I will offer an option where the heater unit is maximized if ordered.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote