View Single Post
Old 7th December 2006, 13:59   #1
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Radiator fans description and operation

I have scanned and OCR'd this from my Electrical manual so there could be some mistakes I have also corrected the info where we know the manual to be wrong. This is what is supposed to happen:-

COOLING FAN DESCRIPTION

K1.8
Cooling fan operation on Rover 75 is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM), which receives signals of engine coolant temperature from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor. The cooling fans operate at two different speeds, depending on engine coolant temperature. The cooling fans also operate after the ignition has been turned off to control rising engine temperatures after the engine has stopped running.

KV6
Cooling fan operation on Rover 75 is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM), which determines cooling fan operation with the help of information received from the following sources:

. The ECT sensor.
. The Automatic Transmission Control Unit (ATCU) via the CAN-BUS.
. The air conditioning trinary switch.

The cooling fans can operate at high, medium, or low speed depending on the information received by the ECM. If the ECM receives contradictory fan speed request signals, it will always choose the highest speed requested. The cooling fans also operate after the ignition has been turned off to control rising engine temperatures after the engine has stopped running.

M47R
Cooling fan operation on Rover 75 is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM). The ECM determines cooling fan operation with the help of information received from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor, and the air conditioning trinary switch (if fitted). The ECM delivers a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the cooling fan assembly. The frequency of this signal is determined by engine coolant temperature, and determines whether the cooling fans operate at low, medium, or high speed

If air conditioning is requested, the cooling fans automatically start operating at low speed.
If a subsequent request is made for a higher fan speed (i.e. the engine temperature has risen) this higher fan speed request will always override the lower fan speed request.

continued on next post

Last edited by Dragrad; 5th November 2012 at 23:38.. Reason: dead link removed