Thread: Dangerous fault
View Single Post
Old 5th April 2017, 07:22   #2
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I'm not sure how a gearbox fault makes the car accelerate (as in opens the throttle unexpectedly) I'd be looking at the pedal box - and the throttle position sensor (it's diesel isn't it?).

Had the car from new? Gearbox fluid should have been changed back in 2009 and again in 2015 - interval is 6 years/ 60,000 miles whichever comes first: I'm not surprised if it smells.

Quote:
My pal plugged her in and got gearbox fault reading.
Unless he cleared the fault and it re-occurred after the fault happened again it doesn't mean anything. Add to that the 2003 CDT isn't 100% OBD compliant, so unless it was a T4 he plugged it into... Add to that there's a list of things that come up as faults on these cars that are normal and only experienced operators can tell you which. I'd take that fault reading with a pinch of salt. Still, change that transmission fluid!

My money is on throttle position sensor or catching the throttle pedal with foot when braking.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote