View Single Post
Old 10th March 2012, 00:19   #11
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverjoe View Post
For six months thought I had a coolant leak, always having to top up with water.
Bought the correct coolant (red stuff which you dilute with water) have not had to top up in three months.
Still checking though just in case.

There are a couple of issues here.
The "red stuff" is pretty much the same as the green or the blue stuff, and one of the characteristics of that is, that they tend to solidify when drying up, and they can seal very small holes, at least they do on my vehicle, say a weep around a small hose. Or if not actually sealing it, they make it more visible by leaving a white crust (I use the "green" stuff!)

But that would only be noticeable if prior to that you used no antifreeze at all, I would think.

Secondly, some of the leaks you have can be of the "on-off" nature. Examples are the water pumps, which can be erratic, the plastic T-piece which initially starts leaking only during heavy heat soak.

And finally, again assuming you used no antifreeze before, having added some, will increase the boiling temperature of the mixture (and, incidentally also lower the heat transfer capability). This will mean less pressure and less load on the relief valve in the expansion box cap.

You might thus not have solved a leak as such, or you might.
Chances are however good, that you also should be looking at replacing your filler cap on the expansion box in the near future.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote