View Single Post
Old 21st April 2017, 00:20   #6
QuestionMark
Regular poster

LHD Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Conn auto 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Are you asking about the blower inside the car?
Yes, I think so? Are you asking about the ventilation fan? Sorry, I had to I'm not always certain about the terminology, so I went with what Jules called it in this post: How to test radiator fan speeds.

Quote:
It should activate straight away when you request air conditioning on "the warmest of summer days".
But no matter the temperature, it should activate immediately, no? Not necessarily in full hair dryer mode, but a small breeze. Yet for a few seconds or minutes there's no "blowing" whatsoever, whether I use auto, manual or demist.

Quote:
Try charging your battery externally for 24 hours. Some equipment can be inhibited after a cold start if the battery voltage falls below a certain threshold.
I've charged my battery several times this winter, and changed it too (for other reasons). It doesn't make a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
mine always takes a few seconds to begin ramping up to the speed the blower has been set at. Normally I would switch off the blower when I pull up for the evening, occasionally I would forget. So when I start the car the next day, after a few seconds I will realise the blower is ramping up to speed (normally switch it off then).

From that I noticed that when the engine is cold, the blower would take very slightly longer than it would if I had been driving. It doesnt start to ramp up until I have reversed out of my parking space. I have always assumed it was to do with the extra strain on the engine when cold. Cold oil plus the compressor running would create a little extra drag on the engine for those critical seconds to get the oil around it.

Take a note of it when the engine is cold, and when warm to see if there are variations. On mine there is, but it is small (1-5 seconds maybe), but then temps for me rarely get below freezing (and even rarer to get about 20 )

When the engine is warm and the ATC is set to auto, as mentioned it also takes in ambient temps when begins to ramp up the speed of the blower.

The gradual ramping of the blower on start up also makes it a little more pleasant compared to the shock of a instantly blaring blower
Mine ramps up too, but only after the delay during which it's completely dead. I'll try to be more scientific about it though, maybe a pattern will emerge But my impression is that the delay is fairly arbitrary in occurence and duration, not having to do with ambient or engine temperatures. Besides, the variations we're talking about aren't seconds, but minutes Sometimes I can drive for a couple of miles with an already warm engine on a hot summer's day before the blower starts up, while other times it starts as soon as I start the car, even on a cold day with a cold engine
QuestionMark is offline   Reply With Quote