View Single Post
Old 13th February 2023, 11:48   #21
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT Player View Post
I know many people don't like it as a rust treatment, but have you tried painting old engine oil underneath. I notice you are in North East Scotland so the winter weather isn't ideal for a cars underbody, i'm in West Wales which is similar weather wise and I've always found old engine oil painted directly onto rust protects the metal and stops it rusting further and it tends to just stay on there.

When I was an apprentice mechanic back in the early 70's it was my job to do the oil sprays, horrible filthy job but we used to do a ton of them, we used 80% oil, 20% paraffin.

One old guy brought a new Volve 144 and insisted Volvo did nothing to the underside regarding underseal, I sprayed that car from when he had it, I think the colour was sun yellow, after I left my dad who was the foreman there told me the guy came back year on year and had it done, never a sign of rust.

I also had the job of cleaning the overspray from paintwork too, we let them sit on a special area outside to let the excess drip off for a few hours before the customer took them away.

Simple and effective solution to stop rust even starting.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote