View Single Post
Old 18th August 2016, 18:55   #10
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Well I'm recommissioning Chris's Freelander Ray and getting shot of her 75 diesel.

Her car is 17 years old, and after standing for five years, it fired up like it had been to the shops.

The TD4 is prone to the same things as the 75 in terms of clutch etc, but the driving position gives a commanding view of the road.

If test driving a car, reverse it in a tight turn, if it feels like the handbrake is on....walk away, this is a sign of a seized viscous coupling, leading in short order to IRD failure.

Similarly avoid cars which have the propshaft removed, as this is often done to disguise IRD problems.

They are a pleasant drive, slightly underpowered, but nonetheless a slightly better built car than the 75, you won't spend your time reattaching the trim parts that fall off at regular intervals, for instance

Economy wise, you will be in 75 diesel auto figures for consumption, and if hammered you will be into mid to high 20s.......something to bear in mind

Finally door lock actuators are the same as the 75, so see if they all work.

If you spot anything you fancy, give e a shout and I'll tag along.......I have the Landrover disc in the T4 at the minute in any case

Brian
Hi Brian

I think the time has come to seriously look for a good used Freelander (If there is such a thing )

I'm thinking of an auto for a change but if I get the chance of a manual I'll settle for that. Not really bothered about the spec ie basic to SE. I have been looking on ebay at a few (Garage Sales) they are quite high mileage

I spotted a decent one near York it is an auto with cloth interior 84.000 miles on the clock. But it has 15 inch alloys and when I put the reg into Kwik fit tyres it comes back with 16 or 17 inch . So do you think the 15s are 1.8 petrol.

If I do see anything I will give you a call to give it an experts once over
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote