View Single Post
Old 29th April 2017, 11:42   #61
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I can understand both sides, and have 'done' both sides. One car in particular having at least 195,000 miles on its timing belt (possibly 235,000 - it died with compression issues). The belt in my opinion at the time, and thinking back now, still looked serviceable. Of course it would have been foolish not to replace it at that point, if it was being put back on the road, it wasnt.

Missing a recommended oil service or even two is unlikely to do much serious damage, but they are relatively cheap to do. Missing 5 or 6 though would likely be a different matter lol. Missing the timing belt schedule by 5, 10 or even 20,000 miles is 'probably' going to be ok, but that all depends on your sphericals. Personally I would be thinking 'it will be my luck it will go at any moment' and that 'stress' would make me change it. I would be more concerned with missing it through time. Tyres on a low use, low mileage car would be replaced before they needed to be, due to the likely visible signs of cracking on the walls. But would it be foolish not to replace 10 year old tyres because they showed no cracking on the outside?

Tyres are safety related though, but I would tend to think of the timing belt as a 'safety' related item for the engine, AND my wallet.

But at the end of the day, it is my car, and if I received valve shaped dents into my pistons, it is my fault. If someone asked me when to change something, then I would have to suggest the recommended schedule, but dont panic too much if it is missed, but get it done as soon as. Manufacturers will give recommended times as a compromise. They cannot know what use or lack of, the car will get, so will err on the side of caution and for that reason you will(EDIT) 'likely' have a margin of error.

There is always the forgotten side of that margin of error though, you could replace the belt, and it could snap after 4 years and 40,000 miles, due to some kind of manufacturing fault, or some other component failing around it (leaking oil seal perhaps).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 29th April 2017 at 12:11..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote