View Single Post
Old 30th December 2007, 13:50   #6
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowedb View Post
Immobilser and locking aren't actually linked (other than they both live inside the key head).

The alarm / locking transmits when you press they fob. The immobilser has a transponder chip which only transmits when it's in the ignition lock. The ECUs that receive the signals are different too.

So sorry, the theory doesn't stack up, and as pointed out an immo lockout also prevents cranking.

So cam sensor, fuel pumps, or glow plugs. If it's OK when cold, but always fails with a hot engine, I'd plump for cam sensor too.
The odd thing is that 99.9% of the time the car starts without a problem. As I said, this problem has occurred just three times in the 18 months I've owned the car. In each case I've done something unusual with the unlocking immediately prior to attempting to start, hence my suspicion that it was something related. Surely if I had a faulty cam sensor or the like, I'd get regular problems starting, wouldn't I? There is normally no problem whatsoever starting.

As I mentioned, there was no power to the fuel pumps, which would appear to rule them out. How would a problem with glowplugs manifest itself?

Also, how do I check out the fuel pump relay?
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote