View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2010, 00:32   #10
Lynneth

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3807 View Post
Hi Lynne and welcome to the club.

So that a more specific reply can be given can you let us know what model you have ?? Diesel ?? Petrol ??
If Petrol what engine - 1.8 ? 2.00 V6 ?? 2.5 V6.
Automatic or manual ? How old is the car and mileage.

EAch model can have different likely causes of non starting.

However one thing common to all is the battery. If the car is over six years old and is on the original battery then its on borrowed time.

Did you notice if the headlights flashed when you tried to start the car and failed ?? The cars computer (ECU) checks the battery power level every time before starting the car. If there is not enough in the battery the ECU will not allow the starting proceedure to continue and to let you know this will get the headlights to flash at least 3 times.

If this is the case and the battery is over six years old then it could be new battery time. If the battery is fairly new then it could be that you do a lot of short journies which has not given the battery enough time to recharge properly. Think it takes about 5 to 10 miles of running to replace the energy of ONE COLD start. A decent long run (once the car is running) or useing a battery charger every now and again might cure things.

HTH

Thank you so much for replying

I have a Rover 75 1.8 petrol car.

I did not see any flashing of headlights, although it was daylight on the two occasions it failed, so may not have noticed.

Also, as previously mentioned, on both occasions, the car did start with no problem, then after stopping the engine for a short while (and removing the key from the ignition), it refused the start again because of the immobiliser.

As far as travelling is concerned, I travel long distances (all over the country) as part of my work, so there is no problem with that.

The car is six years old, so not sure if the battery is the same age as the car or not. It certainly does not seem to have been a problem, and has started every single time since I bought it - until recently. The car has done 60,000 miles (it had 33,000 miles when I bought it) and is manual.

Thank you very much
Lynne
Lynneth is offline   Reply With Quote