Thread: Nonstarter
View Single Post
Old 26th March 2024, 17:04   #1
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default Nonstarter

A puzzler. For the first, time my car failed to start. Never failed before – regularly serviced all its life.

About a month ago, filled up at Tesco’s, paid at shop, back to car - non-starter. After several tries at longer intervals, and not wanting to drain the battery, I called the AA. The queue for the pumps was lengthy and causing much embarrassment. AA turned up in about 30 minutes, yes - amazing. He turned the key, it started. I’m sure I could hear the cheers as I left, eyes firmly fixed ahead.

Now it’s happened again and in the same place. The sympathetic grins from the cashiers, no smiles, were pointed. Called the AA again, different chap this time, who lifted the off-side rear seat squab and said that he thought the reason for the failure to start was probably the fuel pump. He turned the key and it started.

The car then went to a highly regarded local service station first thing yesterday. Phone call today and they said they could find no fault but would keep it overnight and try again in the morning. They also said ‘what a nice car, if you decide to sell it give us a shout’.
Any ideas?