View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:37   #39
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyland Worldmaster View Post
Well I'm keeping Alison. Fook what the ecomentalists say. Incidentally, I got questioned by an ecomentalist about Sara, my old '75. They asked why I was driving around in an old gas guzzler.

Now I knew said ecomentalist was a regular flyer so I asked when he last flew.

That finished the conversation.

Way I see it Alison is the most efficient solution for my high mileage. She uses very little fuel. So that's better than scrapping her and buying a new car.

What I have trouble with is: do these people really believe that a modern car of 2.0-2.5 litres and the size and comfort of the 75 actually does significantly better real world mpg than the 75 already does? OK, DPF etc may 'clean up' the particulate output but afaik does nothing for the other pollutants. I've heard in the past claims that 'my car does 70mpg' ... 'cruising at 60mph on the motorway in light traffice' ... 'struggles on motorway hills when loaded' - is an Hyundai i10/compact tin-box and cost £14k .... OK, perhaps we should settle for smaller lighter vehicles with smaller engines - I've got a bicycle which I use regularly for the commute to work now - it's only two miles away.

If they really cared they would just shorten their commute by moving closer to work or find jobs closer to home. Doing 60 to the gallon in a (new) 'clean' car and 20k miles a year is stupid if you could be doing only 2k miles a year in something else... just having a brain-whatever here...

Right, I'm off out to walk to the shops ...

Save

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote