View Single Post
Old 26th January 2011, 08:03   #1
Mike Allfrey

Rover 75 Club

Default Engine Timing Belt Change Interval

I am still working on a set of technical notes that relate to engine timing belts.

I have made a thorough check of the Owners Handbook, the Service Portfolio and the Brooklands edition of the Rover 75 and MG ZT Workshop Manual and have not found any written information about the intervals at which the engine timing belts should be changed.

Originally I was informed by my Rover dealership here in Melbourne, Australia that the timing belts should be changed at 145,000 kilometres or after six years use, whichever event came first. I have not yet seen this important information written in a MG Rover produced document. To me, this omission is extremely strange.

My selling dealer is now defunct, so I can't check there.

Does anyone in our group know where this important information was written for owners to act upon?

Having visited several Website forums on this subject, I have found out that Holden/Vauxhall Astra/Vectra intervals have been reduced significantly, as have those for Audi cars, in the interest of reducing warranty costs. Bung it back on the customer! Noted also, is the fact that the Rover KV6 and 25K4F engines enjoy the longest timing belt change interval of all.

I believe this subject is/was important enough to warrant a copy of pertinent written notification -- somewhere.

Thanks for help, again,

Mike Allfrey. Rover Car Club of Australia Inc.
Mike Allfrey is offline   Reply With Quote