View Single Post
Old 30th January 2010, 08:56   #8
upstream
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for that. The connections were quite badly pitted and dirty but with my limited knowledge of things electrical I had thought that provided I sanded all the deposits of the plunger head and the contacts (they were nice and shiny by the time that I had finished), that they should then make the required contacts again.

I suppose what I perhaps should have done was to reconnect the cables to the starter and have held it in my hands and had the wife turn the key to see whether or not it was operational before refitting - Still... at least I had put some wd40 on all the bolts to the battery box etc before refitting so it should be easy to remove again ;-)

My concern now though is that I get the repair kit and then find that there is an issue with the "motor" side of the starter and have to replace it anyway. Do you know if there is any test that can be done of the actual motor (whilst out of the car) by connecting current to any particular terminals of the starter? That may then enable me to have a clearer picture of what isn't working.

Thanks,

Andy.

OUR RATES

$60 per hour.

If you wait - $70 per hour.

If you watch - $80 per hour.

If you help - $90 per hour.
upstream is offline   Reply With Quote