Thread: My MG6 thread
View Single Post
Old 11th November 2015, 14:42   #3
MattyC
Gets stuck in

MG6 1.8 Turbo TSE in Burnt Orange

I assume you have the TCi Tech (1.8T K'er). You will love it mate!! I've had nothing but pleasure from mine. Lots of toys (I have a TSE), very comfortable, strangely economical for the engine, especially on a run, plenty of power when you press the go faster pedal, lovely exhaust note, silent on idle/below 3000rpm, but when you open her up, you'll notice just about everyone will look, and the feedback from local "cruisers" (young chavs with Corsa's and the like) is it sounds immense, and the engine/exhaust note makes it sound "very" powerful (they don't believe it is only 8.4s to 60 and 160bhp).

Despite what the media say, the naysayers, and generally those who have never been near the car or lived with one, they are well built, and MG really do look after you. I had a suspension arm replaced at it's second service due to slight play in the CV joint, no hassle, all authorised by MG within days despite it being defined by myself, and the dealership as wear and tear.

You will enjoy. The only downside, is the market values of them, they depreciate faster than an Alfa lol. But if you like it, and can afford it, then why not?!

JWMC are still looking into the possibility of a remap to the 200bhp'ish region, but the limiting factor is the gearbox ECU apparently restricts the torque to 235nm, which is barely higher than standard (215 iirc). So it will require a piggyback ECU system to remap it properly (you could technically increase power without torque, but the car needs torque more than power to improve performance).

One thing to note though, make sure you have the upgraded throttle map. The standard one is performance-orientated, and as such is extremely urgent and quite harsh. Pulling away smoothly is uncomfortable and will eventually result in premature clutch wear due to the amount of riding you will do. They never do the throttle map upgrade as standard, but get it done, it makes a world of difference!! They might charge you £40 for this, but a decent dealership won't - just tell them you have an issue where it's pulling away really harshly and MG will approve under warranty without a problem.

Master the hill hold control (clutch and gear in, footbrake engaged, then remove handbrake and pull away as normal), and also use anti-stall (bring the clutch up slowly without revs from a standaing start in 1st or reverse) to manoeuvre around car parks and the like, and you will find the experience smoother.

All in all, you've bought a very comfortable, capable car, and you will enjoy driving it. Well done!

Mods: 17" meteor wheels | Steve916's Auto boot lifters | Leather electric memory seats | Dynavin Android DD Headunit | MG7 grille (was a V8 grille, long story!) | SEAT Leon Cupra splitter (colour coded) | ZT sideskirts | BigRuss/marinabrian 160 remap | Roverron Synergy 2A | Arctics Modified Handbrake Compensator

Thanks to those who've helped, providing advice and info, supplying/manufacturing parts, even fitting things for me!

Last edited by MattyC; 11th November 2015 at 14:45..
MattyC is offline   Reply With Quote