View Single Post
Old 13th June 2011, 09:01   #6
Hengist
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Harry is quite correct - the intercooler pipe can be removed and replaced from above, as shown in other How To posts. Might be a touch on the fiddly side trying to fit Jubilee clips, though - although it's said that this isn't necessary but more of a belt and braces approach.

Dragrad ... Ramps are obviously a better plan than a Lidl trolley jack , however I can never get the front of my cars to go up them. Must say I've not tried with the MG, but bumper clearance is often an issue when driving the car up ramps. Theoretically, you only need to jack the car up to remove the undertray fasteners and side screws anyway - the car could happily sit on its wheels the rest of the time. In fact, with a short screwdriver you could get the fasteners out with the car on the ground (rust allowing).

Arctic ... Cheers, man. Yep, I used rings supplied by Jules. Nice tight fit

Zony ... Yes, it appears the original rings aren't really "fit for purpose". My pipe had popped out at the front edge along with the upper ring (compare my pics of old O ring in place cleaned up, and last pic with Jubilee clips in place - the lip on the pipe should sit flush with the top of the intercooler).

You can see in my pic with the pipe/old ring still in place that the pipe had been forced upwards so that the upper ring was exposed. The lower ring had snapped, but was still in place at the inner lip of the intercooler.

That's why I consider the Jubilee clips/cable ties to be a good idea - it's obviously possible to force the pipe out, and it only attaches by that single 8mm bolt on a plastic bracket, giving an ideal hinge-point for movement.

Angus
Hengist is offline   Reply With Quote