View Single Post
Old 30th October 2012, 08:46   #23
captaintess

Rover 75 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshire75 View Post
hi,

ive had a rover 75 v6 sat on my driver for sometime and really want to get it going.

i plugged it in and it had 2 faults, multiple misfire and system too rich.

looking under the bonnet it was clear that the upper timing belt casing on the camshaft pulley was wobbling as you tried to start it up. having removed the casing you could visibly see the pulley wobbling as if the securing washer bolt has been misthreaded in somewhere and the pulley isnt rotating properly.

before i found this when you tried turning the engine it would catch but stall after a second on two. the person i purchased it off said it just cut out on them.

suggestions on where to go next.....
Just for the record, the cam shafts are NOT inter changeable, the inlet camshaft cannot be used for the exhaust camshaft! the lobes are different, if the end of the camshaft has broken the more likely the woodruft key on the pulley has perished or the timing belt has stretched, the best way round this is the replace the camshaft, pulley and the woodruft key and don't forget to replace the pulley bolts fitting them with thread locking chemical ! i've done three of these engines and they are a total nightmare! normally charge about £700. Or buy a second hand engine!
captaintess is offline   Reply With Quote