Thread: Time to sell?
View Single Post
Old 24th February 2017, 07:58   #6
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I thought the same a few years ago. I traded in my 14 year-old 3litre Shogun for a two year old Skoda Octavia diesel. It would be more fuel efficient and not need so much money spending on it, right? And it was part of the VW/Audi group too now, so should be a good buy?

It was sure fuel efficient. The first week of ownership we went to the coast in it, and came back for free - on an AA transporter! The duel mass flywheel failed. It should have still been under Skoda warranty, but they refused to repair it as the previous owner had used independent garages to service it. I pointed out the law now says this is allowed, but there is a loophole that original parts have to be used, and Skoda threw it at me that I couldn't prove they had, leaving me potentially with a £1500 bill in the first week! Worse still, Skoda then informed me the part was such a common failure, and was fitted to Volkswagens, Audis as well etcs, that there was a three week wait for the part!!!!

Lucky for me, I hadn't bought it from Skoda, but an independent garage, and when Skoda refused the repairs they offered me three choices, they would pay, they would offer me another car off their forecourt, or my money back. I took my money back, but my old car had already been sold.

So newer isn't always better!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote