Thread: Overturned
View Single Post
Old 14th March 2017, 04:14   #24
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

A few comments, if I may....with apologies for long post.

It's been mentioned that caravanners may be of the older generation, I've just had to apply for my 'over 70' Licence, and while I retained my towing category, I lost C1and D1, the 'medium size vehicles' and 'minibuses', because I couldn't be fussed to take a medical etc. I'm now restricted to vehicles with an all-up weight of 3500kgs, which includes vehicle,fuel, load, passengers, driver and his sandwiches, and trailer if towing. This is, apart maybe from the towing, the same as the post 1997 regs.

Also mentioned, drivers possibly forget they are towing. Unlikely, you may think, but this happened to me many years ago (1975 to be exact!). I had an HB viva, my Dad had twin cam Lada shape Fiat 124s, with towbar. My father in law had a caravan. I was newly married and unable to afford a holiday, so swapped cars with Dad, and borrowed the caravan.

Well the Fiat's performance with the van on the back was at least as good as the viva solo. About 15 miles into the journey, feeling comfortable and relaxed,I come up behind a lorry, and overtook it. Without going into further detail, shall we just say it was only the truck driver's quick thinking that saved a nasty accident.

Since then, I've never forgotten I'm towing, and as you see I've not forgotten that incident either!