View Single Post
Old 30th January 2010, 09:30   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstream View Post
... tried to start the car... Just the single "click" and nothing else.

I've heard something about a starter inhibitor switch. Is this something easy to get to ...
Hi Andy,

The single "click" is the starter solenoid operating which means that your starter inhibitor switch must be working. According to MG Rover its electrical multiplug is mounted in the region of the automatic transmission oil pan, but I can't find it on the circuit diagrams to give you the wiring colours. I would be cautious about disturbing it unnecessarily as MGR says a service tool is required to reset it.

It appears that despite your solenoid moving, the motor is still not getting an electrical supply. It could be that your solenoid contacts are too worn to respond to cleaning. If you have a multimeter you can check their effectiveness. I believe that a repair kit is available from X-Part for the solenoid (there has been a recent thread on this). Do not buy a second-hand starter motor from e-bay (unless you're a keen gambler!). If a complete replacement does become necessary, get a proper exchange unit from X-Part or a motor factor or Rimmers. But I think your problem is still with the solenoid.

Simon.