View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:32   #8
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
I am making one that I can just pull out of the little compartment above the lightswitch unit, and push it back in when not in use. Am going to wire it to the back of the power socket I have there, my knee catches the plug when I get in and out, and I am fed up of draping it over the top of the steering wheel.
Either that or I will adapt a firewire type socket and fit it to the door pillar and have a 6" power lead that will plug into it from the GPS
I did a sort of how-to on mine in a thread ages ago, but in short, I took a supply from the passenger footwell fusebox, routing the wire via trim gaps and/or behind trim, across the dashboard, to exit into the void under the steering wheel.

The wire ended in a trailing accessory socket, earthed, into which I plugged the satnav plug, and that now sits happily hidden under the wheel, the satnav wire being similarly hidden and routed into the cubby to the right of the wheel.

I made my own bracket for the Garmin's sucker mount to stick to, so the unit sits just in front of the cubby, and demountable quite quicky if needed, but it's out of the way enough not to need to remove it.

Malcolm