View Single Post
Old 12th July 2009, 16:44   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfletcher1979 View Post
How do i put coolant back in without air getting trapped?
There should be a large diameter (16mm or so) black plastic screw cap on one of the large hoses under the air filter housing . This is a bleed valve . Release this whilst filling until coolant runs from it then nip it up . Fill the system right up to the bottom of the fins in the tank and run the engine until the top hose is hot ; then take off the pressure cap and squeeze the top hose vigorously for a short while .You should feel water being "pumped" in the top hose , and when you stop the level in the tank will probably drop as water is taken into the top hose and the rad . Watch the small return pipe which comes into the side of the tank neck and when this repeatedly squirts water instead of air whilst you are squeezing the top hose , you are probably finished and can top up. Repeat the squeezing operation each day for a couple of days untill you see no change.Remember to have the heater controls set to hot or the AC to a high temp so that the heater matrix fills . I have successfully refilled mine several times so long as these tips are followed.Good luck.