View Single Post
Old 14th April 2015, 19:14   #1
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

Default Hideous metallic clatter on left hand turns - suspect aircon related

I don't think is related to my most recent under-bonnet fidling, as it was happening before - but it has got worse.

This only happens if I'm in auto climate mode - and not if I'm in econ.

I get a hideous metallic noise when going around sharpish turns to the left. It's the noise of something rotating striking something else.

It's quick enough not be brake/driveshaft related and it doesn't vary with vehicle speed.

It's the same whether in gear and driving the wheels, or clutch in freewheeling.

I reckon it has to be either related to the compressor and/or drivebelt, or (and this may sound odd, but I am seriously considering it) something to do with the electric fan blades striking something.

One reason I am thinking it might be the fan is that I have a suspect dodgy resistor (although it's recently fitted gold one) and with no time to do a lot of testing etc, I just connected the two end wires together - so that any demand for low speed fan now makes it run at high speed. Since I did this, the fan runs a lot of the time (if climate is set to auto) and that may be why I am noticing it more.

Anyone had a dodgy fan or a similar noise?

BTW I've recently bought a backup car so I can keep on doing these jobs on the ZT-T but stay mobile (hopefully).

Last edited by Ps3000; 14th April 2015 at 19:36..
Ps3000 is offline   Reply With Quote