View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:04   #12
upstream
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello gentlemen!

Well - I ordered the repair kit from an ebay seller and it arrived this morning.

This afternoon I quickly removed the battery box etc (the bolts weren't too tight as I had only recently done it) and removed the starter.

I then swiftly took it inside and after removing the old bits, installed the parts from the kit. Interestingly - although I had cleaned the old contacts thoroughly what I hadn't noticed was the deep tracks that had been worn into them over time. I think this must have been the issue because after popping the starter back in, reconnecting the battery etc and turning the key - the car fired into life beautifully!

Going slightly off topic... When I initially was removing the starter I had noticed that (you know the two rubber pipes from the air cleaner?) the larger of those two pipes must have been removed at some point in the past because the bottom edge was outside the clip and as a result there was a small gap there. This probably explains why the car did seem to idle slightly "off" when I had originally driven it as I imagine that air would have been getting sucked into there (or blown out) of there.

Anyway guys after initially feeling somewhat deflated after my first experience I'm over the moon at the moment and ready to start on the next thing (3 speed fan replacement).

Thanks - You little rippers! (As Australians would say).

Ps... Can how do I sign up as an official member?

pps... I noticed that the car idles at around 800 rpm. Is this about right?

Andy.

OUR RATES

$60 per hour.

If you wait - $70 per hour.

If you watch - $80 per hour.

If you help - $90 per hour.

Last edited by upstream; 2nd February 2010 at 17:06..
upstream is offline   Reply With Quote