Thread: Thermostat?
View Single Post
Old 15th October 2013, 17:11   #6
BrainKing
Banned

MG ZT+ 2003, 2.5 V6, 160bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Take top cover off, look into the V of the engine with a torch, check for signs of leakage (will be stained pink from the OAT antifreeze)

Parts are around £50 if you want to fit yourself.
How do you take it off? / easy to put back on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Check water level, and check often, when cold. I think your fan is not working. If thermostat, it would be a problem at all times, this seems to be only when stationary.

And what is the garage charging you 500 for??

The fan we are talking about here is the fan in the engine bay. Has nothing to do with the heater fan.

Started steaming up under the bonnet when I was stationary for 20 minutes charging my battery after a jump start. Thats the first time I noticed any steam. When I checked the water level, first there was a lot of pressure built up and it was still extremely hot, but there was no water in the yellow radiator container. I suppose the puddle under the car is where its gone..

How would I check to see if the fan is working properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Check water level, and check often, when cold. I think your fan is not working. If thermostat, it would be a problem at all times, this seems to be only when stationary.

And what is the garage charging you 500 for??

The fan we are talking about here is the fan in the engine bay. Has nothing to do with the heater fan.
Garage is Wigg in Beccles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovema75 View Post
Very possibly, and do not allow garage to jump to the automatic head gasket failure diagnosis. The thermostat housing is plastic and can split.

However you must also check for correct operation of your cooling fan. If that has failed it may have contributed or caused the overheating in the first place.

Do not rely on the temperature gauge for meaningful info.
I have a v6 2.5

I get told they only fail in the k series engines and not mine. I think i might have freelance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyclass View Post
As above you need to know that your cooling fan is working, start the car and press the demist button, the fan should operate. Next thing is to use obd to monitor the coolant temperature, do a search on here for the how to.click here http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ated+clarified
I will do this when I get it back from the garage. I think it does work. And whats obd?

The garage reckon its not the thermostat but a leak as they can smell antifreeze. Surely that means nothing? Could be from the radiator cap being under pressure releasing the water and anti freeze no??

Last edited by Dragrad; 16th October 2013 at 23:47.. Reason: consecutive posts
BrainKing is offline   Reply With Quote