View Single Post
Old 17th April 2017, 19:17   #9
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev The Bear View Post
With the trims I wss thinking it was the door kick plate trims as the side trims are painted in my ZTT. Are these able to be polished?

I'm pretty sure they would polish up just as well Clyde, and it's something I want to do on my '75. Problem is, on the '75 they have "Rover" etched on the front ones, and if I took the same approach that I did on the sill finishers, I would probably damage the lettering. Will have to try to come up with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I'm currently polishing the Cortina ones, 42 years old and needing some tlc...I've done the wet and dry down to 2500 grade and then, power buffing them with G3 and a final polish with Turtlewax. They are coming up like new, the picture shows three of them, I'm wrapping them in bubble wrap as they're done for the day the care is ready. The goody box always looks good with shiny bits, the ZT is going to get the same treatment.
Impressive - they really do look like new. I have a real soft spot for Cortinas - my first car was a MK 2 1600GT which I got when I was 19 and knew nothing. Over time, I got it looking like new, but only by using body filler and bits of tin (biscuit tin, I kid you not) riveted to the floor panel etc to cover rust. I honestly thought that by pouring lots of Jenolite over it, then covering it up and spraying it, all would be well. Once I learned the truth, the MK 2 was disposed of and I got a Diamond White Mk V. A really nice, rust free car that was my pride and joy until I wrote it off on the way to work one day. My dad had a really nice Cortina MK3 auto for a number of years. He replaced it with an Austin Metro in the end to save on fuel bills.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote