View Single Post
Old 24th February 2016, 19:15   #15
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I think you will find Ben that it's the 'O' ring which is leaking and spraying coolant upwards which then solidifies around the seam. That was the case with mine. I proved it by testing and refitting the original thermostat housing but with a new 'O' ring. It didn't leak any more.

By the way, are you using OAT antifreeze at 50% concentration like me?

Have you checked that your radiator fan is working correctly on all speeds? What is your actual running temperature read from the IPK diagnostics? It should be in the low nineties when the car is moving.

It's therefore quite possible that you've been using parts of inferior quality. The obvious thing to do is to fit a pair of genuine X-Part gaskets bought from an ex-MGR dealer, not e-bay (unless they are supplied in sealed MGR packaging). I'd be very surprised if that doesn't solve your problem.

Simon
Hi Simon.

I can't be 100% certain as to where the thermostat failure is at present, but will try and be decisive when I get round to changing everything . . . again. Concentration started at about 40-50%, but honestly, I've generally topped up with water, and then on the odd occasion OAT, since September last year when I last changed everything.

I have always used genuine MG Rover gaskets and thermostat kits, purchased either from Rimmer Bros, or Endon services. Stainless coolant rail fitted, and fan working on all three speeds inline with IPK readings. ( 100 on, 95 off slow speed etc).

When coolant level is correct, engine temperature sits happily between 88-93, but pretty stable 90 on motorway cruising speed.

My problem is that ever since the first thermostat failure, must be over 4 years ago now, the coolant level has always dropped at a fairly consistent rate, and looks to be entering the engine somehow. After about 5 months, the oil needs to be changed because of the mayo effect.

Last edited by Typhoon190; 24th February 2016 at 19:20..
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote