Thread: Overturned
View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:25   #25
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Short wheelbase vehicles always perform worse when towing to give the "tail wagging" effect. It can be offset a bit by the weight of the SWB but generally speaking a longer wheelbase veicle is more stable. (unless it is an articulated vehicle, loaded over the towing axle, rather than on a towball at the back).
Don't forget to check those trailer tyres for cracks after the winter lay up. Lots of vans have flipped on the A47/A17 into Norfolk at the start of the season due to tyre failures.
As someone who has towed for 50 years and without incident....

I look for a good heavy car, preferably RWD. For stability I like the rear axle or wheels as close to the rear as possible, this also helps reduce the leverage the weight on the rear has, to take weight away from the front wheels. FWD works, but the drive is not in the best position for grip on a slippy surface. Artic tractor units are relatively much shorter than their trailers and they don't have stability issues, than a car + caravan. The shorter the tug and longer the trailer, the more easily they can be manoeuvred.

I have never owned a 4x4, never towed with one, but have driven them. I was wondering if a 4x4 might be worthwhile when I bought the 75. I had in mind day to day economy when not towing. It was a good decision and I have only suffered issues with the FWD once, trying to climb up a wet grass field. I managed to get out by a series of zig-zags up the field to the top and solid ground. The owner has since added a proper gravel road up the middle now. I tow diagonally down the grass to the road, then up along the road to get out.

So far as I am aware, caravan's don't have any manufacturer's towing speed limits, they are just limited by which ever country you are towing in. I have towed at 90 without any issues in the past. In the UK I normally restrict myself to 55 to 60mph, usually following the speeds of the HGV's so as to minimise the need to overtake.

I minimise nose and tail weight as best I can, setting it at 75Kg which is slightly less than the manufacturers recommended and well below the 75's maximum. I also get all weight as low as is possible. I have had the odd slight snake in the distant past, but my present outfit has always been rock steady, a very relaxing drive.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 22nd March 2017 at 09:47..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote