Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th November 2010, 19:02   #1
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Default Rustproofing in Scotland

Hi all. I am looking to get my R75 rustproofed, the works. now i have noticed member "Brigus" travelled south to get his tourer done, but is there nowhere in Scotland that does the same thorough job ? I would like to keep the the car as long as possible. if i have to take the car to Morpeth then fair enough, but would for convienance rather go somewhere nearer.....I have been looking at the rustmaster thread and i admit it does look very good.
Graham1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 19:32   #2
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Hi Graham, - I was thinking of having my 75 done to, and did some research on waxoyl versus dinitrol. The latter seems to be the better treatment, although some will swear by waxoyl.

One website I looked on said they do it - that's the dinitrol, at London Taxis Direct, Baillieston, Glasgow G69 7HA - Address: 55 Muirhead Road, Glasgow G69 7HA. tel. 01417 710110.

However that's quite ways away from both of us, and the cost is pretty prohibitive too!

Cheers
Leander
Leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 19:39   #3
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

i'm familiar with this company,easy to find off the M8 near to the site of the old glasgow zoo.

if it helps i could possibly call in and get some details.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 19:41   #4
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Well, depends.
I mean it depends on what needs to be rust-proofed.

For the car, I think the creeping thin oils like Tectyl, Dinitrol and waxoil all have something to be said for them.

However, if you want to rust-proof the driver, you better stay away from such!

In that case I would try Glenfiddich, ich!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 19:59   #5
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
i'm familiar with this company,easy to find off the M8 near to the site of the old glasgow zoo.

Very kind of you pab.

If I can save my pennies I believer I've got some options considerably closer to home, but it may be of some help to Graham - let's see what he says when he returns to his thread.

Cheers
Leander
Old 17th November 2010, 20:03   #6
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
Very kind of you pab.

If I can save my pennies I believer I've got some options considerably closer to home, but it may be of some help to Graham - let's see what he says when he returns to his thread.

Cheers
Leander
maybe if we all got together we could get a group discount
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 20:15   #7
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

You could do it yourself and save loads. I did my MGTF with waxoyl (for £20 i think for a big tin) and I would say I done a better job than a garage would have done. On the most exposed areas, I gave it 2-3 coats.

The problem of course is access under the car. I managed with axel stands, not ideal, but I got the job done. It took most of the day and I would imagine a 75/zt would take a bit longer, but the for 20 quid you cant go wrong.

On one of our "tech days" we hold for our MG MGTF group http://mg-freedom.proboards.com/index.cgi, we have access to a ramp. One of the other members was disgusted at what he discovered when his car went up on the ramp. He had paid a garage to seal the underside. Looks like they showed the waxoyl to the underside. Hardly anything there so consider putting a day aside and doing it yourself next summer.
Old 17th November 2010, 20:19   #8
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Fella View Post
You could do it yourself and save loads. I did my MGTF with waxoyl (for £20 i think for a big tin) and I would say I done a better job than a garage would have done. On the most exposed areas, I gave it 2-3 coats.

The problem of course is access under the car. I managed with axel stands, not ideal, but I got the job done. It took most of the day and I would imagine a 75/zt would take a bit longer, but the for 20 quid you cant go wrong.

On one of our "tech days" we hold for our MG MGTF group http://mg-freedom.proboards.com/index.cgi, we have access to a ramp. One of the other members was disgusted at what he discovered when his car went up on the ramp. He had paid a garage to seal the underside. Looks like they showed the waxoyl to the underside. Hardly anything there so consider putting a day aside and doing it yourself next summer.
my tf was proofed from new, but they missed things like the crush cans etc...
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 21:06   #9
Leander
Gets stuck in

[QUOTE=kieranswood;619665]maybe if we all got together we could get a group discount[/QUOTE

Yes, it's been done before by members, but you are still looking at around £400.

Yella Fell'a's £20 sounds more up my street, but I don't even have axle stands - just rusty ramps.

It's also very messy to apply...

Cheers
Leander
Old 18th November 2010, 00:05   #10
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post

Hi Pab...That would be excellent, i did get the car undersealed when i bought the car back in October 2005, but would like the car profesionally done, must admit i did like the look and coveraage of "brigus" tourer, and inside the cavities, certainly don't mind going to Glasgow, and as for a group buy/discount, well i'd be up for that, as for the Waxoyl/Dinitrol which is best, my gut feeling is Dinitrol might have the edge, but not sure, however if Paul could get some details, that would be much appreaciated.
Graham1961 is offline   Reply With Quote