Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th October 2009, 10:45   #1
rtdc
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 Club SE V6

Default Wet Boot Carpet

I have just found that my boot carpet is soaked through on the nearside in an area of about a 6-8 inch square; I can’t see any reason why. I even had a small puddle in the spare wheel area, it doesn’t make sense how it’s got there. The side of the boot is dry, all around the boot is dry and with the huge lips and rubber seals I can’t see how the water has got in. I don’t know how long it has been wet I only found out last night when I took my laptop out of its bag to find it wet, not good you will agree. I can’t even think of a time I have carried anything wet or could have leaked, it’s got me puzzled.

Anyone had wet boot issues?
Old 24th October 2009, 10:51   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Some times the clips on the underside of the screen leak, otherwise more common faults are rear light cluster seals chrome strip clips . other areas also but if its just in the middle and not to the sides you need to look from above.

Thought You had sold up Rob??

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 12:07   #3
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Have a read here

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=188
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 12:23   #4
rtdc
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 Club SE V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyman View Post
Very interesting, might be the gasket seal between the rear light cluster as the only wet is in the nearside of the carpet and the spare wheel. The side carpet is bone dry all over as is everywhere else.

Cheers
Old 24th October 2009, 12:29   #5
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Link below for boot seal how to......
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 17:03   #6
rtdc
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 Club SE V6

Well i dried the wettest part of my carpet no probs only to find that the part the goes at the back of the boot by the backseat is also wet Rear Screen Retaining Clips need doing maybe?
Old 24th October 2009, 18:45   #7
Ratdogfink
Loves to post

I have done, rear light clusters, rear windscreen fixings and vents on both sides. They were all leaking! Dry everything out and put lots of kitchen towle down and use a hose to soak the suspect areas. I also re sealed the boot seal.
Ratdogfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 20:28   #8
rtdc
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 Club SE V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdogfink View Post
I have done, rear light clusters, rear windscreen fixings and vents on both sides. They were all leaking! Dry everything out and put lots of kitchen towle down and use a hose to soak the suspect areas. I also re sealed the boot seal.
Hiya, yeah that's my plan for Sunday lol. I am not a 100% certain that the wet hasn't been there for a long time even before i bought it and not a leak but a spill, long shot lol. Seems odd i didn't notice it before as i use a hose to wash the car often.

I'll post my findings. :lol:
Old 25th October 2009, 13:52   #9
rtdc
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 Club SE V6

Thumbs up Sorted

I have investigated my wet boot. I started by covering to boot with news paper and with my hose on jet squirted water into all the seams at close range, I made sure water was being forced into all seams and around the rear window, nothing inside dry as a bone.

I then left the boot open and ran water down the drain channels and success found the leak, it was dripping from the boot seal. So I removed that area and ran water again and no leak without the boot seal so it was definitely that.

I had read on here about using silicone sealer to seal the seal but didn’t want to do that as too permanent for my liking so set about alternatives. First I tried a bit of bin bag to try and improve the seal, no good. Then some insulation tape, again no good. So I got my silicone ready thinking there was no other option then had an idea, car wax.

I found my old tin of turtle wax the proper thick wax not the liquid type, took some finding too haven’t used it in years since finding autuglym. I applied a generous helping to both sides of the lip where the seal sits along for about 2 feet. Refitted the boot seal and ran water along the drains for about five minutes, as well as running along the drain I also forced water under the seal all along and gave it a dam good hammering with water. Apart from small splashes where I was a bit over zealous the area it was leaking before remained dry.

So I intend to keep a newspaper in the area that was affected for a while and see if anymore leaks in, it wouldn’t surprise me if it does eventually and I do have to silicone the whole lot someday. I don’t think the boot will leak under normal rain conditions only under washing ones, it took a hell of a lot of water to drip.

One tip, watch where you stand if you do this I got soaked hahahahahhaha

I'll keep you posted if it leaks again but for now jobs a good’un