Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th November 2010, 10:07   #1
redditchdave
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default A Review of the MG ZT 190 - comments please

I've recently enrolled on a writing course at Bromsgrove college and this week's homework was to write a review of a product. So I've taken the opportunity to write a review of my ZT. I've added it below, just in case its of interest to anyone.

Can I please stress that I do not want to offend any 75 owners, they are great cars, but just not my ' cup of tea'

I hope you enjoy my words and I look forward to any comments

Dave

I must declare firstly that this will not be an unbiased review. Most of my working life has been connected with the Motor Industry, I’ve always been a fanatical supporter of the British cars, and most of the vehicles I’ve bought with my own money have been from the MG Rover stable. I was at the NEC Motor show when the Rover 75 was launched and I was not too impressed. The 75 was in my eyes a ‘poor man’s Jaguar, a ‘gentleman’s express’ and an ‘old man’s car’ so it did not really interest me. Friends drove them and told me how smooth and comfy they were, but as an out and out ‘petrol head’ these cars were not for me. Just before BMW committed their act of ultimate betrayal and sold MG Rover, I was working at Longbridge and saw a prototype MG version of the 75. I’ve always liked sporty versions of big saloons, my excuse is that my wife gets car sick, so we need a car with firm suspension, the real reason is that I’m just a sad old boy racer who likes fast cars. This MG prototype ticked all the boxes for me. Wind forward a few years and the prototype becomes the MG ZT. Following the demise of MG Rover, prices dropped and I was able to buy an 18 month old ZT for a fraction of the price when new. I believe it’s the best car I’ve ever owned my wife views it as a ‘money pit’ which she can’t wait for me to tire of. I think she will have a very long wait
Admittedly it drinks petrol, chews through inordinately expensive tyres at an alarming rate. I’ve also had some pretty horrendous garage repair bills, with more to follow shortly. But I’ve driven over 50,000 miles in this car and owned it for four years now, so what is the attraction, why haven’t I replaced it yet?
Well for sentimental reasons its one of the last MG’s built by British workers. It’s a top of the range model with a 2.5 litre, 24 valve, quad cam V6 engine. You do not need to know any of this, just that it makes a fantastic noise when accelerating. It’s roomy comfy and does all the stuff a car should do. I like the colour which everyone else loves or hates ( it’s too blue is the usual criticism. ).
It’s also the only car I’ve ever had that people come up to me and start a conversation along the lines of ‘great cars, shame they went bust’.
I said at the beginning this would not be an unbiased review, my MG ZT 190 is simply the best car I’ve owned. I’ve grown an illogical attachment to it and am prepared to ignore its sometimes expensive faults in order to enjoy what is one of the nicest cars to drive.
redditchdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 12:28   #2
kelseycowpat
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTI

Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing your words with us, it is certainly an interesting slant on things. My use of english isn't the best in the world, but I would be tempted to do a couple of things. Split into another paragraph after "these cars were not for me." I would then start that paragraph with details of how you worked at MGR, seeing the prototype - then the BMW betrayal. - It's just my opinion, but I think it would tell the tale in a bit more of an interesting way.

Good luck with the writing - you're a braver man than I (or is that "Braver man than me?')

Best wishes

Kelseycowpat
kelseycowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 13:07   #3
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Hi Dave,
One of the diffulties of writing any sort of essay is trying to stick to the brief. As I understand it a "Review" should be an evaluation of the product. If you don't mind me saying so a lot of your writing is a bit of a life story, that in itself is fine as it puts context and provides qualification to your review. Beyond that there is little on the product; for instance, you say that it is a top of the range model, but you do not explain why it is so. Sumptious leather interior, on board computer etc. etc. Why does it get through tyres and petrol, heavy car but handles great etc. Of course, I don't expect they will really want to read about wheelbase and gross weight, so not too much in the way of technical detail but I would pad it out with more of your opinion on things like it's ride quality and handling.
Hope this helps in some way.

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 13:48   #4
redditchdave
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Thank you

Phil,
Thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated. I'm not sure either if it should be 'you're a braver man than I 'or 'Braver man than me', so in a situation like this I prefer to follow the example of the great playwright Ernie Wise and use his words ' - braver man than what I am' ...

I was conscious that paras needed splitting a little, so I'll take your points on board - thanks.

I'll also build up the bits around the prototype and history. The first prototype I saw was an Atalntic Blue ( I think) 75 with 18' wheels and lowered suspension - it just looked right.

Having said that a prototpye TR7 had a similar impact on me around 1975......

I'm glad you found it interesting,

thanks again,

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseycowpat View Post
Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing your words with us, it is certainly an interesting slant on things. My use of english isn't the best in the world, but I would be tempted to do a couple of things. Split into another paragraph after "these cars were not for me." I would then start that paragraph with details of how you worked at MGR, seeing the prototype - then the BMW betrayal. - It's just my opinion, but I think it would tell the tale in a bit more of an interesting way.

Good luck with the writing - you're a braver man than I (or is that "Braver man than me?')

Best wishes

Kelseycowpat
Old 18th November 2010, 13:54   #5
redditchdave
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Thank you too

Steve,
As per my earlier comments , all feedback is greatly appreciated.

I did feel that I wandered off track a little with the history and my personal feelings, having read your comments I realise that more should have gone into the Product details. I'll need to rethink that part and as you say go into more detail re why it does things and why I like it. I didn't want to put in here that the real reason it eats front tyres is because my wife likes belting round corners in it - I'll need to work on that.

Thanks again for all the comments and I hope you enjoyed my slant on things.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
Hi Dave,
One of the diffulties of writing any sort of essay is trying to stick to the brief. As I understand it a "Review" should be an evaluation of the product. If you don't mind me saying so a lot of your writing is a bit of a life story, that in itself is fine as it puts context and provides qualification to your review. Beyond that there is little on the product; for instance, you say that it is a top of the range model, but you do not explain why it is so. Sumptious leather interior, on board computer etc. etc. Why does it get through tyres and petrol, heavy car but handles great etc. Of course, I don't expect they will really want to read about wheelbase and gross weight, so not too much in the way of technical detail but I would pad it out with more of your opinion on things like it's ride quality and handling.
Hope this helps in some way.