Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2018, 17:41   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default K-Bus feed. One for Marinabrian perhaps?!

So

Because of the trouble I had with Bones I got her a digital temp gauge which Andy tried to fit. On the first attempt it gave him a continuous row of numbers and four beeps. Andy tired a different K-bus wire from the IPK and got the same, so assumed the board was faulty. Jack who makes them replaced the board and I just refitted it, but I got the same thing, it beeps, a row of numbers like 8888 and when I start the ignition it looks like just a "C" backwards shows.

The earth is grey, the K-bus wire grey and black, and then a green live feed.

Anyone got any ideas why it won't work? Jack says the boards respond like this with lack of K-bus signal, but Andy has done lots of these and has tried two different sources. He said there were no K-bus errors since fitting a new ECU.

It looks like I can't have a digital gauge unless someone can shed light on this! (It's Bones again, I know, the devil car!)
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 17:46   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=93446
The K bus feed is red/white with yellow traces

Last edited by suzublu; 24th July 2018 at 17:52..
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 17:52   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

That's weird...totally different colour wires from what Andy has in there, but he's done so many of these including his own. I think he is on holiday as I haven't seen him on for a few days. Bones has a Wince in, will the wires be the same? I might wait until the next Nano for some help lol!
Old 24th July 2018, 17:55   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
That's weird...totally different colour wires from what Andy has in there, but he's done so many of these including his own. I think he is on holiday as I haven't seen him on for a few days. Bones has a Wince in, will the wires be the same? I might wait until the next Nano for some help lol!
It has to be there, if you trace the wires back as far as you can, it'll be amongst the harness
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 18:02   #5
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Actually....I am thinking the colours I can see are simply wire Andy has used to tap into the originals. He knows his onions, so the colours are probably irrelevant. So I suppose my question really is, why I am getting no K-bus feed?! The dash works, so it should work and yet...nope!
Old 25th July 2018, 09:59   #6
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

Back to basics then: I assume you've got the board mounted behind the O/S cup holder blank. Check that nothing got pulled put of place as you shut it. That almost caught me out when I fitted mine. Is the other end of the wiring spliced into the loom behind your stereo? Pull a good old length of it out to make sure you've got the right colours. The yellow dots on the K-Bus wire aren't always easy to make out. Finally check your connectors, whichever variety you're using. I used Wago lever connectors, which may not look pretty but at least they're easy to disconnect to have another go.

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2018, 12:36   #7
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I don't know a k-bus from a number one bus if I am honest, but trikey fitted it, and I trust he knows what he is doing. He tried two different feeds and got the same result, so I don't think its anything come loose. Its currently connected behind the IPK. I might ask one of the electrical gurus at a Nano to check see if they can spot anything that might cause it.