Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2011, 21:50   #1
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts
Default Lpg on 1.8 turbo, which system?

Hi just a quick one, does anyone out there have a 1.8 turbo running on LPG, and if so which system do you have installed.
I am thinking that LPG may be the way to go with my new tourer, as the thought of filling a 14 gallon tank with petrol, fills me with dread, especially when I've run now for over 250K miles in my 214 on LPG.
any thoughts would be appreciated on this one thanks.
Cheers
Brian.
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:50   #2
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Hi,
I fitted a 'stag' set up on my ZT V6 and on the software i can change it to 8 cylinder, 4 cylinder or turbo. I think most set ups are the same.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:07   #3
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

I know this is a million mile away from you but i have heard a lot of good reports of a firm in south walse. They do it in a day.
If you are interested i will get the details from the Lexus forum for you.

Jonathan
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:24   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
I know this is a million mile away from you but i have heard a lot of good reports of a firm in south walse. They do it in a day.

Jonathan
Thanks for that Jonathon, but I'm planning on doing the job myself, as I'm not constrained by the time allowed to do the job where profit is taken into consideration, and no one doing this commercially, would be able to produce a job to my rather exacting standards. My Rover 214, which I converted to LPG over 5 years ago, for instance took me 3 weeks to convert, and the finished results far exceeded the requirements of the LPGA code of practice 2, and indeed 200K miles later it is still operating perfectly, with no issues at all.
Partly the reasoning behind my wanting to do the job myself from start to finish, is I will have a full understanding of the system I install, & any shortcomings it may or may not have.
I am also aware that the turbo K, was excluded from the original "factory fit" LPG option, and was wondering why.
Many thanks however.
Brian.

Last edited by marinabrian; 2nd March 2011 at 20:27..
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:52   #5
BeeJay55
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer, Connoisseur SE

I had Prinz recommended to me by a number of garages when I made enquiries. I had it fitted to a Ford Mondeo and then a Mercedes S-Class. Both worked without error. I did about 80-100,000 miles on each.
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:42   #6
pianoman58
Regular poster

mg zt

Default lpg on 1.8 t

You can only use a liquid gas injection system on a turbo ( like the ford transit original kits), which i have never seen for sale in the aftermarket,
because when the boost pressure rises above atmostpheric it pushes the gas back to the evaporator and stops the engine.
In most lpg systems the engine vacuum sucks the gas out of the nozzles or the mixer plate
pianoman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:37   #7
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman58 View Post
You can only use a liquid gas injection system on a turbo ( like the ford transit original kits), which i have never seen for sale in the aftermarket,
because when the boost pressure rises above atmostpheric it pushes the gas back to the evaporator and stops the engine.
In most lpg systems the engine vacuum sucks the gas out of the nozzles or the mixer plate
OOPs! Not correct I'm afraid.
All systems have been able to run turbos, the modern multipoints without any modification at all as there is a sense line for MAP which will work regardless of whether pressure is above or below ambient.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:52   #8
kevin
I really should get out more.......

ford focus ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post

Jonathan
I used some one in south wales hope its not them.
, a member on here. redone the wiring, and other things.
also took them two days,
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 15:40   #9
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Brian, your like me, cant beat doing yourself.
I fitted a stag set on my ZT V6 which i got from ebay for £160 (with tank) and last year i did the wifes Rover streetwise 1.4 again with a 'stag' from ebay for £150 + £90 for a new tank, which ive now got a fault injector on but cant find out which make it is.
Ive also done a saab and Volvo v70 and a omega V6.
I just love the fact that for a small outlay and about 3 weekends work you can half the running cost of your car.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 00:54   #10
pianoman58
Regular poster

mg zt

Bernard, How do you get the gas coming out of the evaporator ( which they all work on a "on demand" principle ) at very low pressure ( i've never measured it but it can only be a 1 or 2 psi ) to overcome the boost pressure in the inlet manifold which even in a low boost engine like a 1,8 k series is at least 7psi? When the engine is in a boost condition it needs a lot more gas, not less or none at all.
Unless you put the boost pressure into the back side of the diaphram in the evaporator in order to equalize the pressure in the manifold, but then, when you came off boost it would suck the diaphram backwards and again stop the gas flow, so you would have to have some sort of boost actuated solenoids to vent the back of the diaphram to atmostphere when not running in boost condition.
If you put a mixer plate before the turbo as with the old feedback system it would work, but if you ever got a backfire up the inlet, the resulting explosion would be spectacularly massive !!
Which make of system have you used on turbo engines
pianoman58 is offline   Reply With Quote