Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd July 2012, 11:27   #1
KVRumbles

MG ZT 160+

Default KV6 Headgasket symptons with photos

I thought seeing as I've been told my HG has failed on my ZT's KV6 it might be worth posting and listing the symptoms for other people searching online looking for some help self diagnosing.

I brought the car and it now seems that the fan was working on high speed only and the thermostat cracked these too features have obviously failed to cool the engine adequately and the headgasket has failed.

The first thing I knew:

1) Temperature needle inside car goes to high and then falls
2) Thermostat discovered to be cracked after forum help
3) Fan found not to be working on all settings
4) Coolant not the colour it was when it went in
5) Coolant/water burning off at high rate (5 litres every 20-25 miles)
6) Coolant bubbling and spurting out of the tank
7) Mayo/Mustardy Oil filler cap and oil tank
8) Caramel dipstick
9) Mustard Mayo in the air filter/air box

What hasn't helped diagnostics though:
1) No smoke at all
2) Slightly lumpy idle when cold (told this is probably normal just needs a service)
3) Constant 'normal' reading on dash temperature dial (apart from the one off)

It still puzzles me why I don't have any smoke. We thought at first it was the thermostat but it wouldn't lose that much coolant. It's the caramel dipstick and oil cap that sealed the deal as it were.

Here are some photos:

I hope this helps someone out there looking online scratching their heads wondering if it is the big HGF. Maybe some other people could post their HGF KV6 symptoms and issues in realising it had indeed happened.

Many thanks,

Oly
KVRumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:45   #2
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Sorry to see that, will you repair it?
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:54   #3
courier118
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+

All your pictures do show a problem,but it may not be HGF.It could be loose cylinder liners.These were basically glued/sealed in by the factory at the base and there is the odd engine that these loosen and move and let water from the cooling system straight into the oil.
What you need if you havent already done this is to have a sniff test and compression test.
If you replace the head gaskets,put it all back together at great cost and then find out it is the liners you will be suicidal.
There is a way of fixing this in alot of cases if caught early enough by using steelseal,yours may be a case of use,nothing to lose.
Do a search on steelseal on here,it cured a neighbours KV6 permantly from the above fault,also search for posts by Kaiser on here,hes your man with liner issues.
Theres always going to be people who wont try any add in products,but when the car is going to cost more to fix than its worth then you may have nothing to lose
courier118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:00   #4
KVRumbles

MG ZT 160+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovema75 View Post
Sorry to see that, will you repair it?

I was silly enough to get engaged so all my cash is tied up in my wedding next year, I would love to get this thing fixed more than anything,

I'm gutted really, after a 100, 25, ZR, 45, Marina this is the first one to go properly wrong. Alas it was wrong before I brought it! (don't buy stuff on eBay on a whim)

If I was to get it repaired (i'm sweet talking the other half) I'd properly go for a rebuilt new lump (190 over 160) rather than a full fix.

Because of this my mechanic mate wants to try 'Steelseal' to see if once and for all something like this could have an effect on an engine, not sure on something as temperamental as a KV6 mind.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:01   #5
KVRumbles

MG ZT 160+

Quote:
Originally Posted by courier118 View Post
All your pictures do show a problem,but it may not be HGF.It could be loose cylinder liners.These were basically glued/sealed in by the factory at the base and there is the odd engine that these loosen and move and let water from the cooling system straight into the oil.
What you need if you havent already done this is to have a sniff test and compression test.
If you replace the head gaskets,put it all back together at great cost and then find out it is the liners you will be suicidal.
There is a way of fixing this in alot of cases if caught early enough by using steelseal,yours may be a case of use,nothing to lose.
Do a search on steelseal on here,it cured a neighbours KV6 permantly from the above fault,also search for posts by Kaiser on here,hes your man with liner issues.
Theres always going to be people who wont try any add in products,but when the car is going to cost more to fix than its worth then you may have nothing to lose

That is bizarre! As you posted I was writing about Sealsteel - the stuff turned up today!
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:02   #6
KVRumbles

MG ZT 160+

I would really love to do a compression/sniff test but not sure of any decent/reliable in the Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells area?
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:57   #7
KVRumbles

MG ZT 160+

I think the plan is to:

1)Drain coolant
2)Finally replace the thermostat housing
3)Clean up engine (check breather pipes too etc)
4) Pour 2 x 'Steelseal' directly into radiator
5) Following instructions leave for an hour with heating on full
6) Pray to the gods
7) Cry
8) Service it if signs if improvement seeing as we have all the bits and new oil

I don't really have much to lose so I think we are going to give it a go over the next couple of weeks.
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:04   #8
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVRumbles View Post
I think the plan is to:

1)Drain coolant
2)Finally replace the thermostat housing
3)Clean up engine (check breather pipes too etc)
4) Pour 2 x 'Steelseal' directly into radiator
5) Following instructions leave for an hour with heating on full
6) Pray to the gods
7) Cry
8) Service it if signs if improvement seeing as we have all the bits and new oil

I don't really have much to lose so I think we are going to give it a go over the next couple of weeks.
Don't forget if you are going to use steelseal then you will need to use standard Anitfreeze initially as the chemical reaction will not take place with OAT antifreeze. Once steelseal have gone through a couple of heat cycles it becomes inert, you can then if you want drain the coolant and replace it with OAT/water 50/50 mix.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:13   #9
courier118
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+

Steel seal does work with OAT antifreeze.It is Ethylene Glycol based which is what it works with.
courier118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:10   #10
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

i dont see what the problem is using steel seal, t will prove as i have it works done properly.i put some in a rover 25 about 8 months ago that had hgf. it s still holding and the grea drives great .it would make sense touse it and in the time mean time you can save up the money to either hve another lump put in or have your mate epair the original one .when doin though you need to flush all the **** out s the system is clean .use steel seal and not k-seal as k-seal has big lump in it that can lead to blocking the matrix and water jackets.as you say it will prove it one way or another .the postion you are in i say it is worth a try .as for the anti freeze you an use any one red pink green or blue .the only thing diffrent is life span .as your have to flush t through there wont be any left i there if it is oat so orries about mixing diffrent ones .good luck and keep us datede as to how it is going .