Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th May 2011, 18:29   #11
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHurley View Post
Does anyone know of a supplier of these in the UK ??

Thermostat is a Calorstat, V6773,
it has a 67mm diameter,

the lower disk is 29mm and

the stroke of expansion is 10mm.

Distance from flange to lower disk is 35mm.
It is used on certain BMWs from the late 1990s."

Manufacturer

Reference

Technical information

Value

Unit

By Pass Diameter

Millimetre

Dimension towards By Pass

Millimetre

Manifold Diameter

Millimetre

Manifold shoulder Dimension

Millimetre

Opening Temperature

Celsius Degrees

Opening Temperature

Farenheit Degrees
Old 6th May 2011, 00:12   #12
MikeHurley
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6

Thanks Malcolm and Chris, "Bingo" for getting through the Calorsat site, it also seems there is an 82c Thermo from Gates which may also fit.
Sorted via the BMW part references given in the Calorstat Site.
M
Rear o/s wheel bearing set changed.....Aug 2014
Cam & Aux Belts...May 2014
Tazu Inner tie rod ends...May 2014
Need Timing Belts changed...done April 2014
Front Shocks and Strut Bearings ....done Mar 2014
Polybushes to Wishbone Arms.....done Mar 2014
Handbrake compensator changed...done Oct 2013
Exhaust Back Box a.......done 16/8/13
Quality Front Drop Links...done 16/8/13
Rear Springs ..done 16/8/13
MikeHurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 05:59   #13
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

2012 Honda Oddessay and 1996 Ford Ranger Truck (Splash)

Thanks for posting more gobblygook about these things. Now what do I do if I wanted one?

Thanks

Edd
Old 3rd June 2011, 20:33   #14
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default OE thermostat does not fit. 88°C V6773 type around ?

Kaiser has done a superb job. I have been enjoying the sun today and getting ready to fit the thermostat housing. The OE spec is for a 'stat crack open temp of 88°C. Kaiser supplies a 'stat that opens at 80°C. I went through all the stock at my local Halfords today and went through a Catalogue at the motor Factors that the "technical support" guy at the Vernet importers recommended, to no success. However that was not the final word on that as it was not a Calorstat/Vernet catalogue but just a general Factors catalogue.
Like many, I would like to run with 88°C for the winter. 80°C will be fine in the summer and in South Africa all year. The thermostat operates, like many, in two ways. It not only opens up the passage to the top hose/inlet hose to the radiator, when the coolant requires cooling, but at the same time, the lower plate moves to blank off the radiator by-pass circuit. It is vital that this is closed off when cooling is required, otherwise coolant will flow through the bypass circuit circuit with minimal cooling effect and flow through the radiator will be reduced as a consequence.

The following photos show why fitting the OE thermostat from the "toffee paper, glue and chewing gum" housing will not work. 6445sm shows the stat Kaiser supplies, in his aluminium housing. The bypass blanking plate is c. 9mm from the bypass port and will effectively cover it when the thermostat is fully open.

6444sm shows the OE thermostat which I have cut out of the plastic housing. It sits several mm higher and there is no chance of it blanking off the bypass port when the thermostat is fully open. Even removing the rim so the thermostat sits lower will not effect the re-positioning required.

Fitting the OE thermostat into Kaisers housing is not a viable solution.

So then the question is - are there any 88°C (or 86°C) versions of the 2 1/2" stat that Kaiser uses, out there ? Anyone had any more luck than myself ? I really do not want to fit it all back and then strip it down again later.

I will post up all the pictures on another post when it is all done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6445sm.jpg (71.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6444sm.jpg (127.7 KB, 100 views)
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:25   #15
MGMalc
Avid contributor

MG ZT190+, MG ZT160(V6)Retired

BX51, Have you seen this thread http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...t=47002&page=8

Malc.
MGMalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:10   #16
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Thanks

Many thanks. Wish I had come back here earlier. I have just spent 2 hours looking all over the web and had happened on the quiton hazell site. QTH 125 is the right match. But having a look at bmw they have a 67mm 'stat with a 88°C opening in the cabrio/coupe/touring 328i 2.8i 24V. This equates to a QTH 348 which has the raised body but does it fit? "Height" is given as 28 not 35 which is disappointing, so my hopes are not up. Do we have any BMW mechanics out there who can advise us ? I like Mike's efforts with the Calorstat rep. 84°C is getting to the right ball-park. But if it wasn't fitted to anything they may not exist, just a catalogue entry. Then we may need to get a batch made. And if they are being made they could be made with 88°C bulbs in place. It will be great to learn what Mike has managed to find out.
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:41   #17
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default ok better option found

Ignore QTH348. I found the table of dimensions for the various stats. It will not work.

But Kit QTH 488K has a 87° Stat. Diameter 1 of 67 and a height lip to bypass of 33 mm which compares with the 32 of the Calorstat. we might just be onto something here. I will ring up the factors tomorrow. Apparently currently in use on the Skoda Superb, 2001 on (?) and was also used in the Audi Quattro S8 96 to 99 and Passat IV 3B 11/96 to 07/99 so stand a bit of a chance with that.

Kaiser's Calorstat 'stat, if it is the QTH125, was fitted to a variety of BMWs starting from 1973. Most ran out of using it in 1981, although the M1 used it to 85 and the M5 & M535i appear to be the last BMWs to use it in an engine that ceased production in 1987. Although BMW do have a plant in South Africa and maybe they continued to use it out there on an engine they went local on, for a lot longer ? Maybe Kaiser can advise us.
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:44   #18
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Thanks for input on this BX51.
However the the OEM stat I understand opens at 82C (as stamped on the top of the plastic housing)
The stat itself is unmarked.

Wonder if Kaiser would revise his castings and make an exact copy of the OEM.
Then we might have more choice of inserts to fit!

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:05   #19
MikeHurley
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6

Hi, just viewed the latest contributions to this thread and am pleased to say I received 2 84c stats from calorstat yesterday, major hassle from the uk.

Sorry for short reply but this is being done on iPhone.

Mike
Rear o/s wheel bearing set changed.....Aug 2014
Cam & Aux Belts...May 2014
Tazu Inner tie rod ends...May 2014
Need Timing Belts changed...done April 2014
Front Shocks and Strut Bearings ....done Mar 2014
Polybushes to Wishbone Arms.....done Mar 2014
Handbrake compensator changed...done Oct 2013
Exhaust Back Box a.......done 16/8/13
Quality Front Drop Links...done 16/8/13
Rear Springs ..done 16/8/13
MikeHurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:45   #20
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default 82 °C on cover !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Thanks for input on this BX51.
However the the OEM stat I understand opens at 82C (as stamped on the top of the plastic housing)
The stat itself is unmarked.

Wonder if Kaiser would revise his castings and make an exact copy of the OEM.
Then we might have more choice of inserts to fit!
Interesting information moulded on the cover. It states 82°C. I must admit I only looked in the workshop manual prior to today and I read there, that the stat was an 88°C one. Thank you for taking my call earlier today Jules. After speaking to you, I did the test. Pan of boiling water on the stove, both thermostats in along with a thermometer. Water level below the flange. Water in the receptacle above the bulb. Then as soon as the stat cracks, you will see the level in the bit above the bulb fall and can note the temp. The Calorstat one went at 80°C and the OE at 88°C. So both on spec.

Now to the moulded information on the cover. I have a little sympathy for the engineering team. In the mid 80's I was working in the engineering team at a mid size manufacturing company. We had two products that featured 2 enormous mouldings each, both from top grade nylon. We bought in the mouldings as we did not have presses large enough in house. The plant director had a bee in his bonnet about using a cheaper source of plastic other than ICI or some other premium brand that had been approved before I started there. Long story was, we worked for months with a nylon processing company in Birmingham - Jonylon. We could get it right for a small batch but in production, always something would go wrong. The components were just too highly stressed for the Performance tolerance of the more economic material when in production. I never knew there was so much technology in glass filling nylon ! We could have two different sorts of glass filling, both at a nominal 30% and one would sail through the tests and the other wouldn't get anywhere near it.

The "Poly 66 GF30" - moulded in the top represents 30% glass filled nylon. My 2001 car has not done many miles, 28K, 1 owner before myself. Immaculate, always garaged - which is why I bought it. I read through the site and decided that I would go for Kaiser's 'stat housing before I had a disaster. When I took it all apart today, nothing was wrong. No weeping, no distortion of the housings, everything perfect. Exactly as designed. Probably I could have saved myself all the bother, but I could never be sure.

On one thread (how many thermostat threads are there !) I am sure I read that the quality went down the pan when they moved the tools for the mouldings to China or somewhere. Maybe they were caught out - 30 % glass filled nylon is specified, that is exactly what they got, but the performance of the material was nothing like that of the components originally tested. Would seem to make a logical story.
Slightly different for the 'stat temp setting. The letters are spark erroded into the tool in a very neat job, but not a little insert that they could change as needed. It is probable that nobody wanted to pay for the rework to the tool to change the numbers when they changed the 'stat setting during development. After all nobody could test the 'stat without destroying the housing, so why bother ! Rover were then getting hard up for money for any tooling changes.

Right enough for me for the night, I will go to sleep counting thermostat catalogues !!!