Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th July 2010, 09:24   #1
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Default anyone done the trailer test to add it to your license?

Being young, (26) I can't tow without conduting a further driving test to show me ability to tow a caravan or trailer- just wondering if anyone has done this at all and they found it?
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 11:37   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I did the B+E test last year. It's longer than the car test. It's about an 1h 45mins long, there is a reverse the trailer part of the test that can be a bit tricky.
You reverse back from one box of cones into another about 15 yrds away and about 5/10 yards to your right. You have to go to the right of the cone and not hit it. Once in the second box you pull forward it another open box of cones to simulate pulling forward into a garage. You then have to un hitch the trailer and pull away then rehitch it. You have to do a bit of an inspection and an oral 'test' about the trailer. You then have about an hour of driving around.
Some last longer over 2 hrs. I did mine in one week course, Mon to Thurs driving test on friday. Passed first time
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 22:21   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I did the B+E test last year. It's longer than the car test. It's about an 1h 45mins long, there is a reverse the trailer part of the test that can be a bit tricky.
You reverse back from one box of cones into another about 15 yrds away and about 5/10 yards to your right. You have to go to the right of the cone and not hit it. Once in the second box you pull forward it another open box of cones to simulate pulling forward into a garage. You then have to un hitch the trailer and pull away then rehitch it. You have to do a bit of an inspection and an oral 'test' about the trailer. You then have about an hour of driving around.
Some last longer over 2 hrs. I did mine in one week course, Mon to Thurs driving test on friday. Passed first time
1.45 to 2 hrs, that's a long test just so you can tow a decent weight considering you have already past a test to drive a car.
Nice that for once there is a good reason for being old, grandfather rights.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:03   #4
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

It makes me wonder how safe some folk are when towing caravans and trailers. I passed my test in 1968 dear me what a long time ago..I once had a 4.2 Jag and a Lynton 4 birth caravan, was on holiday and stopped around the new forest in a big pub, thought had better pull up in an area reserved for coaches, there was one there already Wallis Arnold, drove alongside it, when I got out to check position etc..the jag and caravan were past the coach by about 3' front and back, it was only then that it struck me how long the rig was. Started to be very careful especially getting fuel
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 19:33   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
It makes me wonder how safe some folk are when towing caravans and trailers. I passed my test in 1968 dear me what a long time ago..I once had a 4.2 Jag and a Lynton 4 birth caravan, was on holiday and stopped around the new forest in a big pub, thought had better pull up in an area reserved for coaches, there was one there already Wallis Arnold, drove alongside it, when I got out to check position etc..the jag and caravan were past the coach by about 3' front and back, it was only then that it struck me how long the rig was. Started to be very careful especially getting fuel
to be honest, I reckon safer (going forwards) then some folk that don't tow.
i admit there will be times when someone towing makes a mistake but it will more often then not be the same mistake as someone not towing.
The driver that is a danger when towing, is probably a danger when solo and they have already passed a test.

very few trailers end up in an accident going round a bend, many solo cars do. Probably the most common accident in towing results from a snake, some are the fault of the driver, some the fault of other drivers.

reversing a caravan or smaller trailer is an art as the wheels are close to the back of the car.

perhaps there are stats to show I'm wrong but in truth, i'm not convinced a trailer test is required.

I did a search on youtube for caravan crashes, not that many. Two I've seen are down to stupidity, one moving from lane 1 or 2 onto a slip road and trying to bully a lorry into giving way. the second involved overtaking a lorry on the approach to a traffic island and then trying to cut in front of the lorry. The two car drivers were not a danger because they were towing, they were already a danger.

the one on the slip road got what he deserved, a damaged vehicle

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 20:00   #6
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

One of my daughters has just failed :¬(
Couple of extra points, you need to do it with a proper set up, set weight secured in trailer & towing mirrors fitted.
And you can fail if you mess up hitching / unhitching ….
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:45   #7
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
This is pretty much exactly what to expect. I did mine two years ago and did a two day course, first day was mainly reversing practices with hitching and unhitching and general driving practice. Second day was similar with a test In The afternoon.
A word of caution however, if you aren't confident about passing your test it will be difficult because it is a dsa test with a trailer attached. No theory though.

If I were to do it again I'd do my c1+e, which is up to 7.5t but you have to do c1 first then c1+e and I think it's £1500 for the lot, the b+e was under £500 and that was with the use of the instructors discovery and Fuel.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 11:06   #8
G.F
Regular poster

ZT Saloon CDTi 135+ & 75 2.0 V6 ppd

My age means I didn't have to do this and jumped straight into a 7.5 tonner at 18 and went all round the country.
Now I have a class 1 HGV which covers it all anyway. Rules for that have changed a lot too. Up to a few years ago you couldn't get HGV until 23. Due to the driver shortage (caused by truck drivers being less respected than lawyers or estate agents these days) the age limit is now 18! Where I work we have 4 drivers in 44 tonne brick lorries under 19 which concerns me a lot. They drive the trucks like their cars.....
I got that frustrated at age 48 I've cut and run and now work in the office. Still keeping my licence up though (which means classroom refresher sessions every 5 years, medical every 5 years etc). They aren't easy things to get thsee days and our guys are on 40-45k a year!
Old 30th May 2018, 15:55   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I took my HGV 1 and 3 many years ago, when trucks were hard to drive! My old Atkinson Borderer had no power anything, no synchros and a "back to front" gearbox layout at the top end. Great fun sending out the young know alls on that when they got too cocky! One threw the keys at me and never came back!
Old 1st June 2018, 09:32   #10
gary t
Loves to post

rover 75 connoisseur se v6

40/45 k ? got any jobs goin ?
gary t is offline   Reply With Quote