Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th November 2010, 18:57   #1
wiltshire75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 v6 2.5

Default one of those days :-(

Was driving along this morning at 9am minding my own business, i decided to turn left on to an industrial site. next thing i hear is a split second of brakes locking before an enormous thud as my lexus is200 got shunted forward.

I looked round to my right and saw a blue peugeot 206 which i didnt think was going to stop as he travelled so far. i then realised it wasnt because he wasnt going to stop but because he had been going so blooming fast that he couldnt stop sooner.

Now being 6ft3 and the turning i was taking being on a slope with obstacles a few metres away i was leaning forward on impact to try and gain a better view. Needless to say this meant i jolted more than i would normally. im guessing he must have been doing approx 50mph in the 30 zone and he certainly didnt see me as there was no skidding or braking of more than a split second.

I took photos, took his details etc and he left. i called my insurance company striaght away who told me from their initial inquiries the car wasnt insured.

by chance someone i know came from across the road and said 'i know that bloke who just hit your car, thats jason'. funnily enough hed just given me a completely different name and address.

all in the hands of the insurance company and police now (god help me). but my neck is absolute agony. got a feeling this is going to be one long running saga

i was literally going to sell my beloved car this week - sods law!
wiltshire75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 19:00   #2
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

sorry to hear of your woes mate,uninsured drivers should have there hands removed

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 00:00   #3
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Go for it Paul, Make sure you squeeze every penny out of whoever is responsible! This kind of incident makes us all sick.
They put up the insurance premiums because in part of the uninsured drivers but they are still out there causing havoc!!!

Hope you get better quickly mate.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 00:06   #4
derekosb
Occasional interested visitor

Kia SOUL EV

We really should adopt the system of displaying an insurance "disc" alongside the tax disc to show we are insured. A simple system which would make it so much easier to spot the uninsured.

Just a thought

Sorry to hear about your accident as well. Good luck with the situation as well.

Derek

Scottish Members Guestmap here.
Just click on your location to add a marker.
derekosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 08:11   #5
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

What a miserable situation to find yourself in. The same thing happened to me many years ago when a refuse truck reversed into my MG Metro and sliced through the rear spoiler and windscreen whilst I was at work and then drove away without saying anything, fortunately I had a witness and settled out of court. When these things happen, one becomes so disappointed in other drivers behaviour. I am sorry this has happened to you.

Out here in Kenya, the road tax disc system was abolished a few years ago.

It was replaced with a Road Insurance card on the windscreen instead. If not displayed it is a criminal offence and can lead to imprisonment for offenders.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 08:36   #6
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

2012 Honda Oddessay and 1996 Ford Ranger Truck (Splash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekosb View Post
We really should adopt the system of displaying an insurance "disc" alongside the tax disc to show we are insured. A simple system which would make it so much easier to spot the uninsured.

Just a thought
Derek

Not sure if it still applies but in Oz when I lived there the road tax (or Rego as they called it) had a third party component included for personal injury. Covered pedestrians as well. Unfortunately it began to be abused by criminals who manufactured accidents to claim on the insurance. I know they were clamping down on this when I left but I don't know what the situation is now.

I am sure there could be some sort of compulsory insurance and if people don't get the road tax including insurance it should be regarded as a criminal offence and a maximum 6 months in prison.

In Oz they also had a criminal intent compensation scheme that victims could apply for. A friend of mine had a Jaguar stolen by a fraudster and he got his money back on that.

Edd
Old 7th November 2010, 15:47   #7
wiltshire75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 v6 2.5

cheers for all your comments guys.

as im with direct line i do have cover even when the other party is uninsured. however immediately after the crash the insurance person was waffling a load of jargon which i lost track of at the time. but the long and short is there will be scenarios where i will have to pay a £450 excess!

looked at my car again today damage as follows:

rear light
rear bumper
panel behing bumper crushed in meaning boot doesnt line up correctly
noticed for the first time that although no paint damage /creasing etc to rear 1/4 i think it had flaired out more, although fairly subtle

also noiced a chip to boot and impact to exhaust which has disturbed one of the joints so its now blowing.

basically a write off. shame as i absolutely love the car. and even though i was going to sell it this week thats only because i needed a more economical diesel, i was hoping it would go to a good home.
wiltshire75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 08:32   #8
Devilish
This is my second home

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
Go for it Paul, Make sure you squeeze every penny out of whoever is responsible!
Instead of just using ANPR, why do they not simply flag up the reg of every car that is not SORN, and does not have all current documents, go to where the car is and confiscate it.

None of this "secure storage" and "pay the towing fee etc and if you bring insurance you can have it back" ********. They should just crush the damn thing, or better still, have the power to send them to auction if they pass MOT. If the estimated 1 in 20 people drive without insurance is correct, the work should be in abundance, and the dividends from crushing and auctioning should be bountyfull. Alas the powers that be think £100 towing fee and £15 a day storage is much cheaper than paying £500 - £1k insurance, MOT and road tax.

I watched one of those police series not too long ago, when they confiscated a Merc AMG, driver had no licence or insurance, said it was worth well over £100k,
Old 7th November 2010, 00:03   #9
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark d3 View Post
sorry to hear of your woes mate,uninsured drivers should have there hands removed
As Clint Eastwood said in one of his films " Anyone who does a thing like that should have his A** removed'.....then he wouldnt be able to sit in a car and produce such an insult to any fine car.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote