Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th June 2012, 16:36   #24
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
I think you are missing the point. Of course it is perfectly OK to discuss the original posters comments in a polite and non confrontational manner whether you agree with him or not. But your subsequent post suggests it is perfectly acceptable to ridicule, (The subjection of someone or something to mockery and derision) as opposed to constructive criticism, an ad or another post in the name of Free Speech.
No I am not missing the point.

As part of free speech to mock or ridicule could under certain circumstances can be acceptable; I refer in particular to political satire where to mock and deride somebodies political position is consider acceptable, an example is if somebodies public statements are at odds with how they conduct their private lives , however under other circumstances it might be seen as just plain rude; it is all about judgement. Part of free speech must be not only what you say, but how you say so thing, but also when you say something. It is all about understand if you are having a conversation with somebody how somebody will react if you tell them the raw truth as you see it. As I have said, sometimes it is better to think it rather than say it.

Sometimes others may object to what you are saying; that is all part of free speech, but then they have the right of reply. Free speech can at times seem dirty and offensive, but I will support 100% the right of others to disagree with me, however offensive it appears to me.

What you are suggesting is a cleaned up version of free speech where only nice thing are said, which isn't exactly free speech.