Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th May 2015, 13:36   #1
fwerner

Rover 75 Saloon

Default handbrake cable - how to install rear end?

Hi,
I have to change the rear axle of my 75. I therefore need to remove the handbrake cable, but encounter difficulties:
I have bought a used complete rear axle which still has the handbrake cable attached, but cut off. As a prep step, I started to disassemble the replacement partin order to understand what needs to be done.
I have removed the brake disc and the hub. I have "unlocked" the end of the cable, but was not able to pull the cable out from the back. Since the cable was cut anyway, I managed to pull the inner cable itself through the "outside" where the shoes are located. The outer part cameoff easily from the back.
Looking into the hole, I am wondering how I might ever get the cable through which is currently attached to the car. The hole is so small that it keeps the spring out, which is fine, but there are two more thicker steel parts on the cable which was attached to the replacement axle. which prevent from getting it in from the back. Originally they were both located on the inner side of the drum.
Anyone around who can guide me, please? Thx a million from Germany!

Pictures attached (I tried to do so.... hmm, didn't work, how can I attach pics w/o owning a page?)

fwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 16:08   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I think you will need to remove the brake plate from the axle. At the end of the outer cable there is an aluminium sleeve that fits into a receiver that is part of the brake plate. If you pull the outer cable too hard away from the brake plate you can brake the receiver that's part of the brake plate. I heated the receiver up and the sleeve then came away quite easily. Add some copper grease perhaps when putting the handbrake cable with the aluminium end into the receiver to stop is seizing again

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 30th May 2015 at 16:09.. Reason: more info
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote