Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th January 2007, 12:00   #1
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

Default 75 CDTi - Correct replacement clutch

I've read quite a few threads about the original clutch friction plate design and how it has changed over the years. For example the early ones suffered from not having enough lead, and later ones were changed to springless, only to be reverted back to sprung.

I have a 75k CDTi and based on the occasional noise I believe I have the original. Chances are it will only have a few years left in it. When it does go I want to make sure I get the right plate, and not an old part with all the known symptoms.

So my question is, when it fails on the night before Good Friday and I have to get a replacement in a hurry, what part number should I get?

Also, are OEM versions worth considering?
JohnFol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 17:45   #2
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFol View Post
I've read quite a few threads about the original clutch friction plate design and how it has changed over the years. For example the early ones suffered from not having enough lead, and later ones were changed to springless, only to be reverted back to sprung.

I have a 75k CDTi and based on the occasional noise I believe I have the original. Chances are it will only have a few years left in it. When it does go I want to make sure I get the right plate, and not an old part with all the known symptoms.

So my question is, when it fails on the night before Good Friday and I have to get a replacement in a hurry, what part number should I get?

Also, are OEM versions worth considering?
Do NOT fit a non Rover clutch. (oem) Other makes have been known to judder.

These are part nos off Rimmerbros list:

CLUTCH COVER URB100652 £84
CLUTCH PLATE UQB000380 £75
RELEASE BEARING UUB105301 £112 !!! That's expensive for a bearing?
SLAVE CYLINDER ?????

You need to replace the slave cylinder as well - if it goes, its a gearbox out job again.

Ron
Old 12th January 2007, 08:02   #3
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

ta !
Old 12th January 2007, 14:58   #4
Austin

MG ZT

Default 75 Squealing clutch noise

Thanks for the parts numbers Ron.

Will these parts stop the horrid clutch noise that is common on 75's.
I have read that you should replace the clutch with a Freelander TD4 clutch instead?

Any thoughts?
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 15:10   #5
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Thanks for the parts numbers Ron.

Will these parts stop the horrid clutch noise that is common on 75's.
I have read that you should replace the clutch with a Freelander TD4 clutch instead?

Any thoughts?
What horrid noise?

If you mean the increased engine noise transmitted when the pedal is depressed, then I can't see why it would.

If it did, I'd be changing mine sooner rather than waiting for it to start slipping because it is indeed a horrible noise!

Other than that, the only other noise that i sometimes hear is a brief squeal when reversing as the clutch takes up.

Ron
Old 12th January 2007, 15:19   #6
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
What horrid noise?

Other than that, the only other noise that i sometimes hear is a brief squeal when reversing as the clutch takes up.

Ron
I reverse out of my drive turning to the left. Stop. Put it in first and pull away whilst turning right. I get a noise as I do so and thought it could be suspension or rack as I was turning at the time. However I occasionally get it on a few gear changes after that. I suspect this is a characteristic of an early clutch, which given the cars age means it's not far off replacing. Clutch doesn;t slip but am expecting it this year.
Old 12th January 2007, 15:30   #7
Austin

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFol View Post
I reverse out of my drive turning to the left. Stop. Put it in first and pull away whilst turning right. I get a noise as I do so and thought it could be suspension or rack as I was turning at the time. However I occasionally get it on a few gear changes after that. I suspect this is a characteristic of an early clutch, which given the cars age means it's not far off replacing. Clutch doesn;t slip but am expecting it this year.
Mine started doing this about 3 days after i bought it
The clutch feels fine, after a lot of reading on the forums this is reasonably common. Its not detrimental, and is cured by fitting a Freelander clutch.
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote